Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Point-to-point link between an outdoor mesh AP and an indoor AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Point-to-point link between an outdoor mesh AP and an indoor AP

Posted Feb 07, 2015 02:02 AM

Hello friends,

I need to connect an outdoor (an area under a road bridge) area to a corporate network through a point-to-point radio link and, at the same time, provide radio access to that outdoor area. The lenght of the point-to-point link is 130 meters. The side at the corporate network is indoor.

Can I use a MSR2000 at the outdoor side and, for example, anAP-104 (or other indoor AP) at the indoor side to create the point-to-point radio link and provide corporate access to the outdoor area? Both sides use ANT-2X2-5314 antenna for the point-to-point connection.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Point-to-point link between an outdoor mesh AP and an indoor AP

Posted Feb 09, 2015 01:38 PM

In general your design is OK, however the product choice is not.

MSR2000 runs MeshOS, AP-104 runs ArubaOS.   Their mesh software is not compatible.   (MeshOS is much richer as a mesh solution and operates at layer 3, whereas ArubaOS operates at layer 2.)

You need to make both sides the same OS.  If you already have AOS indoors, most likely you should put another AP-104 with appropriate external antennas at the remote location.  You're already planning to do this with the MSR2000 anyway.

For a single link, the extra features in MeshOS won't be that useful to you.

Remember that on AOS mesh the backhaul link needs to be on 5G and the client access therefore will be on 2.4G only.

• 3.  RE: Point-to-point link between an outdoor mesh AP and an indoor AP
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 15, 2015 04:53 PM

Thanks for your explanation. It helps me.