Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Profile association

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Profile association

Posted Mar 19, 2014 01:56 PM

I currently have a Master with many Local controllers in my district. I set-up a new local controller to copy down the config and then changed it to be a Master in a new building with no ISP. In that manner, I can make it work as a stand-alone and bring wireless up within the building.

Everytthing seems to be working fine except no SSID's show up. I'm trying to find the mechanism the ties the system profile and AP_Group to that controller. The system profile is listed in the AP_group so I see how they are tied together. How does the controller know wich AP_Group to use? Doels it look for the system profile that has the same LMS ip address as the controller and then look for the AP_Group that lists that particular system profile.

I'm trying to determine if I'm missing a minor configuration that tells this controller which profiles to use.

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Profile association

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:01 PM

The AP knows which group it is in.  When the AP comes up and discovers a controller, it presents itself and requests the configuratin for its particualr group.   WIthin that AP Group, the AP System profile will tell it what controller to terminate on (the primary LMS field).  if the field is blank, it will terminate on the controller it discovered during bootup.

Do the APs show up on the controller at all?

• 3.  RE: Profile association

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:05 PM

I have 1 AP that I am testing with. It gets a DHCP from the controller (shows up in clients) but never shows up in the AP list so that I can provision it.

I was thinking that I should see the SSID's on the controller (Monitoring tab, under WLAN) whether I had AP's connected or not. Is that the case?

• 4.  RE: Profile association

Posted Mar 19, 2014 02:09 PM

The AP shows up in clients?   Is it connected to a port on the controller (for example, is this a 600 series controller)?    If so, you may need to configure the port as trusted.

Do you know if the APs were hardcoded in anyway prior to moving them?  They will obtain an IP and attempt discovery (ADP; L2 broadcast, DNS lookup; aruba-master; or DHCP options).    You can attempt to reset one of them by consoling into it.  Stop the boot process and enter the following commands.

printenv (it will show the environment variables; if set)

purge

save

reset

• 5.  RE: Profile association

Posted Mar 19, 2014 10:29 PM

You have to make sure that all the VLANs configured from the other config exist in that controller.

Run the following command to confirm you are not missing any information : show profile-errors 

• 6.  RE: Profile association
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 20, 2014 02:22 PM

Thanks for everyones input. The issue has been resolved.

SSID's do not show up until at least one AP is up and running.

My problem was simple. The default AP_system profile assigned to the default AP_group had the LMS IP of the old system which it could no longer reach. I had to change that IP to point at my new controller which was be promoted to Master.

It's the little things that matter.

Thanks,