Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Question on Connecting VIA Clients and 00:00:00:00:00:00 as MAC Address

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Question on Connecting VIA Clients and 00:00:00:00:00:00 as MAC Address

Posted Feb 15, 2013 12:16 PM

When VIA clients connect and authenticate via IKEv1 L2TP, they connect and show up in the user table as "00:00:00:00:00:00".   First, I want to make sure this is "normal".   Second, this configuration works fine when we have a setup using Microsoft NPS as the RADIUS server.....however, the customer requires authentications be proxied through Bradford first.   When we do this Bradford balks at the request with the following message:

radius manager cannot process request, no valid mac address

We are working with Bradford on this as well, but was hoping someone could give a brief summary of why 00:00:00:00:00:00 is the connecting MAC address of the client; is it because we are dealing with a virtual adapter rather than phsyical? Is it an L2TP thing?  Aruba specific?   Any suggestions on workarounds?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Question on Connecting VIA Clients and 00:00:00:00:00:00 as MAC Address

Posted Feb 15, 2013 02:33 PM

Just  follow up.  Just got off with Bradford, and they have indicated that this has been researched in the past and because Bradford does not see a valid MAC, it won't work.   For this customer, we are currently going to authenticate the user to Microsoft NPS instead.

A couple of follow up questions (from myself and Bradford):

- Each client has a MAC on their Aruba Virtual Adapter; is this MAC unique to each client; or are they reused in any way?

- If so, can that virtual adapter MAC be used to be passed through for the client to the controller and to RADIUS?

• 3.  RE: Question on Connecting VIA Clients and 00:00:00:00:00:00 as MAC Address

Posted Feb 18, 2013 12:39 AM

"00:00:00:00:00:00" this MAC is by design not know the reason though. I believe since VIA/VPN is works at L3 so we dont send the MAC address.