08-06-2013 08:51 AM - edited 08-07-2013 11:12 AM
Can we configured to auto acknowledge the alerts when the conditions are no longer met and clear/acknowledge the alerts? So that, a new alerts can be generated when the condition is met again after that?
Another question is that if I configure a Trigger with "Suppress Until Acknowledged" Set to Yes, can I automatically the alerts acknowledge those alerts after 1hour? Am I only restricted to auto acknowledge alerts based day (setting configurable system wide in the admin access)?
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-13-2013 11:38 AM
I took a look at the trigger/alert acknowledgement, it seems you've got a good amount of feature requests worth submitting.
There's currently no conditional acknowledgement of alerts. And if you suppress until acknowledged -> then the alerts don't go off again until the previous alert is acknowledged. Please file the requests in the ideas portal since others may be looking for the same functionality.
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
08-13-2013 11:49 PM
More Info on Auto Acknowlege Alerts:
Auto Acknowledge Alerts:
- Auto Acknowledge feature is available only when Device Up trigger is Selected. It will take you to below page for New Device Up trigger:
- By default when Device Up trigger is selected Auto acknowledge Up/Down Alerts is Disabled.
- Auto Acknowledge Up/Down Alerts have below options: Disabled, UP Only, Down Only, Up and Down Only.
- When a User selects Up Only/Down Only/ Up and Down, it will give a Time Window to input for how many minutes alerts should be Auto acknowledged. If the duration selected is ‘0’ then the alert is acknowledged forever. If 15mins is selected then Auto acknowledge is enabled for the next 15mins.
- For example if the trigger selected for Device Up and Down alerts to be Auto Acknowledged for Duration ‘0’. Whenever the device goes Up and Down, alerts are auto acknowledged forever. These alerts are seen when clicked on View Acknowledge Alerts Page.
- For Device Down Alerts if there is no trigger defined for “Device Down”, user won’t be seeing any alerts for Device Down alerts in alerts page or auto acknowledged alerts page. Auto acknowledge is defined in Device Up trigger and user has choice if to choose for both (Up and Down) at a time for the alerts to be auto acknowledged.”
- Top Bar Alerts number has to be updated according to the alerts seen in Alerts page. It shouldn’t count the number of alerts which are auto acknowledged.
08-14-2013 12:56 AM - edited 08-14-2013 09:57 AM
Is this a new feature available in the newer release? Because I don't seem to be able to find these options in our current release (version 7.7.3) that we are using. Is it that I missed something that needs to be configured to make these auto-acknowledge options available? Please advice.
These auto acknowledgement is very important for the support personnel because you want your support personnel to manage an incident tickets rather than manage when to acknowledge the alerts. If the alerts are not acknowledged accordingly, new alerts will not be generated. If we generate alerts without suppressing them, you generate too many alerts (by setting suppress alerts to no, we might have too many alerts and flooding our ticketing system with too many alerts [every 10minutes] that i needs to suppress if there is already an existing ticket for it).
1) These auto acknowledge option that you just showed. Is it only available for Device down triggers or they are also available for others as well such as Channel Utilization, Number of Clients on a Radio?
2) If this is a new feature, can you please let me know which version start to support this new feature?
08-14-2013 07:00 AM
The auto-acknowledge that @Skatike showed is unique to the Device Up & Radio Up triggers in AirWave 7.7. If configured, it will allow the event of a device/radio up alert to set in motion the acknowledgement of a prior alert (you get the option to acknowledge up alerts, down alerts, or both). Try out these alerts and let us know if that's close to what you're thinking. I feel ultimately that some feature requests are needed in order to get closer to the exact functionality that you're looking for.
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
08-14-2013 09:19 AM - edited 08-14-2013 09:53 AM
What does the Device Up Triggers do? Does it mean that I need to configure the Device Down Triggers (Suppress until Acknowledged = Yes) with the Device UP Trigger? And, the Device UP trigger will clear/acknowledge the alerts generated by the Device Down Trigger?
My understanding is that new alerts will not be generated as long as you have an unacknowledge alert. If the alerts generated by the Device Down alert remains unacknowledge, there is no way i can have new alerts generated without having those alerts manually acknowledge by someone or it gets flushed out by the default 14days alert auto-acknowledgement setting.
08-14-2013 10:35 AM - edited 08-14-2013 10:40 AM
Hi Rob & Skatike,
I've just tested the Device UP triggers. It looks like the the device UP alert is mainly to send/create a new Device UP alert/notification when the device comes up rather than auto-acknowledge the existing alerts for that devices. Correct me if I am wrong.
The problem is that when the old alerts is not acknowledged, new alerts can't be generated unless someone comes into Airwave and manually acknowledge those alerts in order for new alerts to be generated. The nearest solution that I can think of to make it work without having to need someone to do the acknowledgement of the alerts is to set the system wide to automatically acknowledge the alerts after 1day and let the system check again and do the suppression on the tickets system (if there is existing tickets and not create a new ticket) and auto-acknowledged of existing Airwave alerts on daily basis so that the support personnel doesn't not have to worry about coming into the monitoring system to acknowledge the alerts. Or, I set the trigger to keep on sending generating new alerts every 10minutes by setting "Suppress Until Acknowledged: No" and then do the ticket suppresion on the tickets system (if there is one open ticket for the same event and device).
I am very much open to any other suggestions (if there is any other options).
08-14-2013 03:22 PM - edited 08-14-2013 10:06 PM
Yes you are correct --- You need to configure the Device Down Triggers (Suppress until Acknowledged = Yes) with
the Device Up Trigger (Auto Acknowledge Up/Down Alerts: By default its Disabled, so select any one of them from the drop down as shown below. Select the time window whether the alerts you want to be acknowledged forever or 15 mins/ 1hr/1 day..)
In Alerts page if there's previously same alert generated for that Device then it won't generate new Alert until we acknowledge past Alerts. This is expected behavior as per designed.
I have tested below scenarios and it seems they are working as expected. If you want more features to work as per your specific requirement, then you can do new feature requests.
Limitations to be Noted:
- If the duration selected is ‘0’ then the alert is acknowledged forever. If 15mins is selected then Auto acknowledge is enabled from last 15mins and checks if there are any alerts to acknowledged and does for all of them or as per Selected time period.
- Past Alerts will not get acknowledged only the new Alerts will get acknowledged for selected time period.
- To get Past Alerts also to be acknowledged then select "Suppress until Acknowledged = No" in Trigger definition.
- Alerts are Auto Acknowledged only when the device comes Up again as the trigger and condition for Auto Acknowledge is defined in Device Up trigger.
- Device Down Alerts gets Auto Acknowledged after the Device comes up. So if the device goes down permanently then we get Device Down Alert but will not be Acknowledged until the device is up again.
- In Alerts page if there's previously same alert generated for that Device then it won't generate new Alert until we acknowledge past Alerts for ---- Suppress until Acknowledged = Yes. But If its "No" then you will see alerts will be generated even though there are same alerts for the same device in the past.
- I have tested a scenario - where there are some down and up alerts for same device in alerts page and I changed trigger definitions for Device down and up to be Suppress Until Acknowledge = No, In device Up trigger selected only Auto acknowledge to be for Device Down Only option & time window = 0. Result --- I see all down alerts even previously generated in alerts page gets Auto acknowledged.
So you are saying that Device UP alerts are not getting acknowledged even after configuring the Device Down Triggers (Suppress until Acknowledged = Yes) with the Device Up Trigger ( with Auto Acknowledge Up/Down Alerts: Selected) ?
What is the time window you have set to? Can we have screen shot of trigger definition.
Please try with the above mentioned scenarios and let us know if you are seeing same issue.
FYI - Before you test Auto acknowledge feature, I would suggest to change (Suppress until Acknowledged = No) for both Device Down and Device Up triggers, this way the new alerts will be generated even though there are same alerts for the same device in the past. Or you can clear all Alerts from Alerts page and Auto acknowledge page too. So that you can view whether alerts are generated or not and if so, whether they are Acknowledged as per the conditions defined or not.
08-15-2013 10:46 AM
This is the trigger settings that I have (I tested with Device UP time Window set to 15 minutes and 0 and the results are the same (The device UP alerts are automatically acknowledge but the Device Down generated earlier alerts did not get automatically acknowledged),
And, the test result in below,
I think for the time being, if we want to implement the device down/radio down alerts; I'll just have to make sure that from the procedure wise, the support personnel need to acknowledge the relevant alerts in Airwave before they fix their tickets so that a new alert will be generated when a new incident happens.