Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP-2 / Controller issues?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 15, 2012 11:59 PM

Hello -

I have an Aruba 650 controller configured with approx. 22 RAP-2's deployed. They have been deployed for over a year and all of a sudden out of the blue, the RAP's have been dropping packets to the network. No rhyme or reason. No changes made on the controller at all, only thing different was I added a new RAP and the next day I had reports of performance issues with everyone that has a RAP deployed to them. A ping -t to an internal IP shows I am dropping packets - somtimes 2-5 in a row. I upgraded to the latest OS version thinking maybe this would resolve it but it didnt. Any suggestions as to what I could try? Or someone run into this before? I have changed switch ports on the DMZ interface and also on the LAN interface after the issues were reported, but that result was the same..

• 2.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 16, 2012 12:05 AM

Are all the RAP's across the same ISP, and are all of them experiencing the performance issue?

Regarding the new RAP that was added, is the Enet1 port being used, and if so, what is attached to that port?

• 3.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 16, 2012 12:07 AM

I did go down the direction of it being an ISP as alot of us have the same ISP.. However, I found 3 that use different ISP's that have the same issues.

Eth1 is being used as there is a VoIP phone plugged into that port on all RAP's.

• 4.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2012 01:08 AM

The vlan that is assigned to the VOIP port, why don't you do broadcast/multicast optimization on it, to see if that helps anything:

(host) (config) # interface vlan 1000
    (host) (config-subif)#bcmc-optimization 

In addition, take a look at the Voice Support for Fixed Telecommuters VRD here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/vrd/VoiceSupportAppNote/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

• 5.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 16, 2012 08:13 AM

Thanks for the response. I dont think the issue is with VoIP as I have the same results when the phone is not plugged into Eth1.. I also had a few others disconnect phones as well to no avail..

• 6.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2012 08:14 AM

Not saying VOIP is the issue specifically, but broadcasts on that VLAN.

You can ignore the VOIP link if you want.

• 7.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 16, 2012 08:53 AM

OK - I just enabled this.. Looks to be no change as I am still dropping packets.

• 8.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2012 08:55 AM

Does the wireless portion of the RAP2 have a separate VLAN?  Enable bcmc on that VLAN as well.

• 9.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 16, 2012 08:58 AM

Done. Same result.

• 10.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2012 09:00 AM

All I can say is remove the last access point and see if it still occurs.  

If it still occurs, please open a TAC case to get to the bottom of this.  It is very difficult to troubleshoot problems of this type on this forum.

• 11.  RE: RAP-2 / Controller issues?

Posted May 16, 2012 09:08 AM

Thakns for the replies. The last RAP is not on-line currently.. I thought I would start here, I will be calling TAC shortly.