Wireless Access

Contributor I

RAP mode AP

I have 42 AP's in RAP mode in my campus connected to the master controller over a 10 Mbps WAN link. Clients in my campus experience frequent disconnectivity issues. At times no one is able to connect to the access point and only after rebooting the access point, clients are able to connect.

On discussing the same with our partner, I was told that 10 Mbps WAN link is insufficient for 42 AP's. According to them, each RAP requires 100-150 kbps bandwidth. ( This was communicated to the partner by Aruba TAC)

I have fully deployed the Aruba solution and dont understand a way out of it. Can I know through anyways that the AP has gone in hang state before any user reports it.

Thanks,

Guru Elite

Re: RAP mode AP

Are all of those RAPs in tunnel mode?  10MB, especially if it is already shared connectivity is probably not enough if you have 42 RAPs.  You might want to investigate if they are a good candidate for split-tunnel so that all of the traffic does not have to traverse that 10MB link...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Got a question

Let me see if i undesrtand you got 42 AP on RAP mode IN your campus?? or outside the campus?

If they are inside the campus and the controller is in there why you got it in rap mode?why not on campus AP?  if you put it on rap mode their throuput is a way lower depending on the AP model

What ap models you got in your campus?

Can you please explain us if the APS are inside the campus with the controller or are placed on somehwere else in the country going throuhg internet?

The way you said it sounds like you got the RAPS in the camps with the controller also in the campus.

Please can you clarify this point to us

Cheers

Carlos

----------------------------------------------------
Product Manager - Aruba Networks
Alternetworks Corp
MVP

Also i have seem rap hanging.....

I can tell you that because a client which have an old version i treid putting him a rap demo... and the rap was hanging.... i told him that the issue was with the firmware... so i bring up a controller with the lastest most stable fimrware... and it never hanged....

I did read on a release note that there was a bug related to this... and i hardly remenber in which version was fixed...

What is your firmware version also please

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Contributor I

All the RAP's are in bridge mode.

The RAP's and the controller are in different locations, connected by a 10 Mbps WAN Link.

AP model 93

Controller Model 3400

RAP's terminated on a Master Controller.

OS version 6.1.3.4

Contributor I

It is shared link.

MVP

Okay it is just one remote location? or there are many remote locations?

if it just one location everry AP 93 will open his own ipsec tunnel so realize you are building 42 ipsec tunnels thorugh that WAN LINK

can you please change it to campus bridge mode and see if it works better? i mean if you  are communicating via wan private link.

Also take in mind that an AP 93 by default will work in 2.4ghz which has a lot of interference and also try not having wired and wireless clients ont he same vlan, if you really have to turn on drop multicast/broadcast.

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
MVP

Just be careful doing that... try with one AP first check everything is okay and then go for the others :)

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
MVP

Forgot telling you

To check for interference issues do this on the command line for the aps that give you more issues

show ap active ip-addr <ap ip address>

check that the noise floor value is above 80 if it lower then too much noise floor

Also check that the channel frame retry rate is below 30%... if it higher then there is too much interference

Cheers

Carlos

Alternetworks Corp
Contributor I

Yes all the AP's are at one remote location.

Thanks, will test it out with one AP.

Can I know the benefit of keeping the AP in campus mode against keeping it in RAP mode. Does CAP have lesser bandwidth requirements.

Thanks,

Mahesh Shirke

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: