Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

RAP vs vpn clients

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  RAP vs vpn clients

Posted Oct 13, 2012 12:40 PM

Hello i woudl like to know if someone has good ideas of why a remote ap would be a better solution than having vpn clients

For example sometimes we are trying to sell remote ap but they tell us well we already got vpn clients we dont need that.

Now having that in mind i was thinking in this

1- Remote ap does help in the way that it does not matter what IOS it has for example if you are using a IPAD it does now matter you can connect to the remote network without any issues... sometimes you get issues for example the ssl client of fortinet does not support tunnel mode on ipads...

2-Of course you can deploy remote sites without having to buy a firewall for the site 2 site connection which is cheaper than  buying a firewall...

3-You can have VLANS on the remote site as if you were on the branch like a layer 2 communication!!  which is awsome!(now i suppose that if i bring a switch to the remote site i can send tags of vlans to my remote site if i wanted(which ill test next week)

Now thats a start i guess any could mention other things that would help in this?

• 2.  RE: RAP vs vpn clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2012 08:47 PM
    It means that you only have to secure your devices via WiFi and the remote ap will be able to extend access to any of those devices anywhere. No more need to obtain VPN clients for different platforms. The rest of what you said is correct, as well.

In addition due to the built in firewall, you can also secure those clients more effectively through roles. For remote aps with more than one Ethernet port, you can also extend wired access..

• 3.  RE: RAP vs vpn clients

Posted Oct 13, 2012 08:55 PM

Thanks for the reply Collin

Im now reading the VRD and cases of study, which give you a good information of WHY you should buy remote aps :) over other things

Its really insteresting... and i really have not yet installled RAPS... i just have been installing LOT of campus solutions.

And its really exciting all you can do with remote APS... i mean i nkew how to configure it cause of the courses but after reading all this its just really interesing... really!

Anyways im looking forward in selling and configuring remote solutions.  Wit this info im sure it will happen soon :)

Cheers

Carlos

• 4.  RE: RAP vs vpn clients

Posted Oct 13, 2012 11:43 PM

is is possible to deploy  wired 802.1x on the remote APs ports somehow?  i mean it would be nice to have 802.1x through wireless and wired... 

I know i can give it a role to the port but i was looking something like derived roles, in which depending who logs in those wired ports they get their own role.

• 5.  RE: RAP vs vpn clients

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2012 11:48 PM

Absolutely.

You can apply a AAA profile to a wired port which can do 802.1x, captive portal, mac authentication, role derivation, etc.

• 6.  RE: RAP vs vpn clients

Posted Oct 13, 2012 11:55 PM

Niceeee ill go and test it  as soon as a i can... i mean this feature is really interesting!

Thanks Collin!