Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Redundant power for AP-135

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Redundant power for AP-135

Posted Mar 09, 2012 09:57 AM

My switch's poe power supply is a bit stretched and flaky, and I'm looking to add a second power source to the AP.

The AP-135s is currently powered using 802.3af on eth0. Would any of the following help to prevent the AP from losing power if the poe drops or maybe even loses connectivity to the controller for a couple of seconds?

- Connecting a separate 802.3af PSE to eth1.  (this is a separate network with no connectivity to the controller)

- Adding a DC power supply

Are there any specs on the DC power supply?  I know it's 12V 18W, but also want to know the polarity and inner/outer diameters so that I can buy a suitable third party adaptor.

• 2.  RE: Redundant power for AP-135

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2012 11:09 AM

Redundancy using two POE sources is not supported, but it works when using POE and DC.

I can provide detailed specs for the power supply if you want, but why not use one of the two products Aruba offers for this: AP-AC-UN and AP-AC-12V18?

• 3.  RE: Redundant power for AP-135

Posted Mar 12, 2012 02:03 AM
    I'd buy one of them, but it seems that all the resellers I've contacted locally don't have any in stock. Do you have a list of resellers in Singapore? Alternatively, I'd appreciate the dimensions measurement and the acceptable voltage range (eg. 8V-20V or whatever). I know the polarity is positive on the inside.

• 4.  RE: Redundant power for AP-135

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2012 12:56 PM
      |   view attached

Center positive is correct. The plug is a standard 1.7/4.0mm circular plug, 9.5mm long. I've attached the mechanical spec for an example of such a plug. The voltage should be within +/-10% of 12Vdc and I would recommend you select a model that can supply at least 18W.

Attachment(s)

pdf
    DC-Plug-PP-013.pdf   23 KB 1 version