Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor I

Remote APs interfering chose wrong channel

Hi 

i fugire out some strange behaviour. We installed some remote accesspoints in homeoffices. Customers now reporting that the RAPs influence their privat wifi networks. So i did some investigation in this topic and got the result raps are choosing same channels as the private networks. ARM is configured as shown below:

arm.JPG

We have ARM enabled so i would expect AP would scann the air and would choos an unused channel. 

Guru Elite

Re: Remote APs interfering chose wrong channel

What model RAP is this?

What channel is it choosing?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

It is an AP-225 configured as RAP.

In my example private wifi in homeoffice is channel 6 and if Aruba AP boots it chooses channel 6 too.

Guru Elite

ARM chooses the channel based on the interference index, not how many APs are on the same channel.  There is other interference on the 2.4ghz band besides access points.

Use the command:

show ap arm rf-summary ap-name <name of ap>

to see what the interference index (intf_indx Total) is.   Again, there is little room on the 2.4ghz band, so I would consider using 5ghz if possible.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Frequent Contributor I

arm_interference.JPGinterference index is 84. The other channels look better. Why AP is choosing channel 6?

Guru Elite

What is the output of "show ap arm history ap-name"?

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor I

arm_interference2.JPG

Guru Elite

It is possible that the AP has not scanned the potential channel that it could go to (1) enough times to consider that channel.  Thinks like Video and Voice aware scanning pause scanning and stop this.  Channel 11 has a noise value of 76, so it is not a good candidate.  More info on why that AP might not be changing channels is here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/unified-wired-wireless-access/7592/1/ARM%20Doc%20Supplement.pdf

Again, just existing on the same channel as  other access points does not mean performance is suboptimal...

Colin Joseph

Frequent Contributor I

Problem is customer's private wifi is not working till the remote AP is activated. For my opinion it is caused by choosing same channel.

Guru Elite

"activated"?  Do you have any IDS/IPS configured that would be stopping that wifi?

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: