Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Removal of IAP105s / Mixed Cluster

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Removal of IAP105s / Mixed Cluster

Posted Aug 04, 2018 07:53 PM

Currently running IAP105s, 215, and 225.

I'm looking to remove all the the 105s and bring in 315, 335 which only look to work with firmware higher than the max on the 105s.

Will it be as simply as, say, unplugging all the 105s?  With the 215s and 225s remaining, I should in theory be able to upgrade the firmware to more current.  Then bring on the 315s and 335s.

Or, am I looking at wiping all configuration and starting from scratch to build the cluster?

• 2.  RE: Removal of IAP105s / Mixed Cluster
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2018 08:37 PM

@Chris Wagner

Will it be as simply as, say, unplugging all the 105s?  With the 215s and 225s remaining, I should in theory be able to upgrade the firmware to more current.  Then bring on the 315s and 335s.

^^^^^

YES

• 3.  RE: Removal of IAP105s / Mixed Cluster

Posted Aug 05, 2018 01:31 AM

Cool.  That's the approach I will take.

Noticed IAP325s will run on the same old firmware as the 105s.  Thought that is interesting.

Thanks for the assist!  If all goes well, should be a mostly seamless upgrade for the user base.

• 4.  RE: Removal of IAP105s / Mixed Cluster

Posted Aug 08, 2018 02:37 AM

Just a follow up in case anyone stumbles on the post...

I removed all our IAP105s leaving just the 215s and 225s up.  I was able to then update firmware to more current (beyond what the 105s support).

I then started bringing on 315s and 335s.  They weren't pulling down the latest firmware, but were being seen in the virtual controller in relation to having an "image mismatch".  I did have to "reset" each of these at power up which caused them to pull down the firmware and join the rest of the cluster.  I only mounted one 335 in an easy to access area, so the "reset" option wasn't too cumbersome.  Probably a good idea to check everything before mounting in the first place.

This network is now all AC-ready with Wave 2 in many places.  We have a 3810 switch going in to test the multi gig feature of the 335s.  More on that when we get there...