Wireless Access

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Reset Aruba AP configuration

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Reset Aruba AP configuration

Posted Sep 23, 2015 04:12 AM

Hi community,

We experienced an issue at one of our sites recently in which the master-ip (Option43) was incorrectly configured. As a result, the AP was unable to contact the master and we were unable to recover the AP remotely. I tried to address this by adjusting the Option43 option to the correct configuration but it appears that the AP retained this information, despite the lease expiring and me anticipating it would attempt to obtain a new leave. I tried to exclude it's current IP from the list of available addresses to no avail. Is there any other method you can use other than factory resetting the AP to recover the AP. I also tried enabling ADP as a workaround but suspect because the AP already had an IP address it did not attempt to discover the AMC using ADP.

Any ideas in case I run into this again? :)

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Reset Aruba AP configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2015 07:50 AM

Did you provsion the AP with the controller's ip address accidentally or did you just put in the option 43 on your DHCP server wrong?  If you only made the change on the DHCP server, the AP should reboot forever and try to reach the controller.  See if the access point is pingable..  On the controller, do a "show datapath session table <ip address of ap>" to see if it is sending traffic to the controller.  Lastly, do a "show log system 50" to see if the access point is attempting to reach the controller, but there is a problem.

• 3.  RE: Reset Aruba AP configuration

Posted Sep 23, 2015 07:57 AM

Hi cjoseph,

Thanks for the reply.

What happened was the site had identified an IP address to use for the VRRP-ip which was the same as the DHCP Option43. The APs were brought online and recevied this configuration from the controller, as the DHCP for the APs is hosted off the controller. It was later identified that this IP address was already in use by a device that is not always connected to the network (poor documentation, slap on wrist). The site then tried to adjust both the VRRP and Option43 configuration, but when they did this the APs lost communicatiion with the controller, as if the AP was still trying to find the controller with the information it originally received (using the duplicate IP).

I'll try to run the commands you have suggested. Unfortunately this is a remote site with no local hands.

I was wondering, if in these circumstances, there is anything you can do, commands you can run from the controller, to reset the AP?

Hope this makes sense?

Thks

• 4.  RE: Reset Aruba AP configuration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2015 08:00 AM

You can try to power off the AP and power it back on.  That is all you can do. Unless the AP is connected to the controller, you cannot issue commands to it.

• 5.  RE: Reset Aruba AP configuration

Posted Sep 26, 2015 02:00 PM

Thanks.

I have one further query regarding AP addressing. We have several sites at which we need to change the IP addresses of our APs due to a lack of available IP addresses in the existing subnet. Whilst I am aware of Vlan pools, we would like to make a wholesale change to all AP addresses. We therefore plan to change the Vlan the AP is in, the IP address of the AP and the LMS, vrrp-ip and AP system profile ip address. With this in mind, and bearing in mind that an AP retains its IP information, what is the best way to effectively reset the AP configuration to support the above. My concern if I do not do this properly is the AP will become isolated and require a physical factory reset. This will be a huge task given the remoteness of some of our sites. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks