Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID Basic and Transmit Rates

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  SSID Basic and Transmit Rates

Posted Apr 07, 2014 09:13 AM

In an effort to further optimize a dense deployment, I recently trimmed 6 Mbps from the basic/transmit rates on the 5GHz side.  To my surprise, I'm still seeing frames transmitted at 6 Mbps in a packet capture.  I verified from the beacon frames that 6 Mbps has been trimmed.  The only frames I see transmitted at 6 Mbps are QoS Null frames.  I do not see any other data frames operating at 6 Mbps.  On the Aruba side, things are working as they should since 6 Mbps isn't being advertised as an available rate.  So I can only assume that this is normal operation; I just can't find anything that states QoS Null frames will always be transmitted at 6 Mbps even if it's not a supported data rate.  Just wanted to have confirmation of this.

• 2.  RE: SSID Basic and Transmit Rates

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2014 09:33 AM

You also have to modify the 802.11a-Beacon-Rate parameter in the SSID profile under Advanced.

• 3.  RE: SSID Basic and Transmit Rates

Posted Apr 07, 2014 09:34 AM

Beacon rate was modified to 12 Mbps.

• 4.  RE: SSID Basic and Transmit Rates

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 07, 2014 10:04 AM

I honestly don't know at what rate null data frames should be sent, or if it should adjust because the beacon rate has adjusted.