Wireless Access

Super Contributor II

Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my head around the new AOS platform and licensing, parrticularly for VMs. 

I'm currently trying to size up a VMC solutoin to terminate RAPS and Instant VPN and don't see any need to go down the Mobility Master path. 

I'd like to try and setup dual VMC with what used to be master redundancy in 6.5 so VRRP between the two VMC and share licensing / database sync. 

it seems this architecture is supported (in the AOS 8.0 fundamentals guide) but it appears that because the VMC isn't actually a "master / MCM" (apparently not supported and can only be standalone) I can't setup proper master redundancy. 

Does this sound right? 

When i try to setup database sync on the VMC i get an error "cannot start database synchronization : switch is not an active master".

Likewise centralised licensing doesn't seem to work in standalone mode without MM.

thanks 

Scott

Guru Elite

Re: Standalone VMC Pair with AOS 8.3

Please see the newly released ArubaOS Fundamentals Guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

There are quite a few restrictions in MCM (without mm) mode:  Unfortunately a "Master Controller" cannot be a a VM.  If you already have a Virtual Machine infrastructure, just create an MM to save yourself from all of the drawbacks:

Screenshot 2018-06-06 at 01.57.00.png

Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
mkk
Contributor II

License server sync is betere the Mobilty Master and the Mobility Master Backup.

It cant be done between two VMC because it is a MM feature/responsiblity
Super Contributor II

Thanks Colin

The fundamentals guide is an excellent piece of work!! It's the reason i'm now reassessing my proposals!

The limitations on VMC weren't very clearly detalied anywhere prior to this. i think i'll go with your suggestion and use the MM. Its cheaper than trying to deploy a second standalond VMC and should allow me to split the VMC licensing from what i can see.

Thanks

Super Contributor II

thanks mkk. its strange because it seems to work with master redundancy  (albeit buggy). 

When i setup two VMC on 8.3 with centralised licensing and master redundancy it kind of works but the backup node actually displays the mobility master role in the top of the GUI when its backup and then changes to mobility controller when its active. 

i'm steering clear of this for now!

Centralized licensing works fine with Standalone/Standalone-Backup (where you just need to license the primary Standalone). 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Technical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: