Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Support Channels - Client and AP

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Support Channels - Client and AP

MVP
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 08:32 AM

Need some clarification - here's the scenario:

APs are operating at standard 5GHz channels for US domain (including 36 and 48). Client device is not configured to support channel 36 or 48, so if client moves to an area that has an AP on one of those channels, I assume the client cannot associate and must either remain on old AP or try to find another, which may have a poor signal to stay connected. Is this correct? I assume this could result in wifi disconnects if other APs are too far away for that client on supported channels.

Another question I have is around DFS channels. If we enable DFS for the APs, and some clients do not support those channels, will we cause the same problem?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Support Channels - Client and AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 08:56 AM

The short answer is yes.

• 3.  RE: Support Channels - Client and AP
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 27, 2018 10:01 AM
    Yes on both questions (pretty will create a coverage hole for those clients)

You need to design your wireless environment based on the channels the clients can support (RF Domain Profile)

If you are not expecting to see those clients everywhere then you can create two different RF domains profiles (one allowing those channels and one without those channels) and assign those based on the AP-Group

• 4.  RE: Support Channels - Client and AP

MVP
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 10:07 AM

Perfect, thank you for the help.

This was an example of a huge variety of client devices ranging from new to 10 years old and we came across a device that did not have channels 36 and 48 marked as allowed, which had reports of wifi drops. This was one of the improvements made to fix that, but was curious as to the effect beforehand. Sounds like it could have been related.

I'm not sure how many end clients actually support DFS channels or what the standard is for manufacturers, but I know it's disabled by default probably for a reason.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Support Channels - Client and AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2018 11:19 AM

@mharingwrote:

I'm not sure how many end clients actually support DFS channels or what the standard is for manufacturers, but I know it's disabled by default probably for a reason.

Always test/verify the actual client capabilies, but overall most clients that support 802.11ac also support at least some of the DFS channels.

• 6.  RE: Support Channels - Client and AP

Posted Apr 27, 2018 12:07 PM
    You can use Mike Albano’s list
    http://clients.mikealbano.com/home