Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 10:03 AM

I have a previously used but currently unprovisioned AP135 that won't work. I'm at the stage of declaring it dead but it's a bit weird, quite close to working too.... 

So it boots, gets an IP, resolves the name of our aruba-master all fine. It then never manages to communicate with the controller so reboots after a few minutes.

The controller logs the following message: 

<WARN> |stm| AP type AP-135 serial AX0453884 IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Radio 1 BSSID is all 0s

I've done as many different variations of a hard reset as I can find, pressing the button, factory-reset, purge... no change. 

I've tried setting a variable to point the AP at a different controller. No dice. Any ideas before it gets an RMA?

• 2.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 10:51 AM

Hi,

Can you provide the following information,

1. What is the master discovery method used ? is ADP is disabled in all the controllers ?

2. What image version is installed in the controller ?

3. Is CPSecis enabled in the controller ?

4. Are you able to ping AP from the controller ? if yes can you see any traffic from that IP in the "show datapath session"

Please share the above we can fix the issue.

• 3.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 12:42 PM

Hi, Thanks for jumping in...

Discovery method is DNS. ADP is disabled.

We're using ArubaOS 6.4.2.4

CPsec is not enabled

I can ping the AP from the controller and yes I can see that IP show datapath session

I should add that I can grab another AP, plug it in and it just works. I don't have a problem with APs talking to my controller, using the same cable etc, it's just this particular AP that isn't working.

• 4.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 12:53 PM

Hi,

When you say you can see traffic from that IP( AP), what traffic you can see ? UDP 8211 (PAPI) ?

when you use "show ap database" what is the status ? denied ? if the status is denied, either disable the CPSec or add the MAC of the AP to the AP-Whitelist.

Please share the above.

• 5.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 01:06 PM

The show AP database command isn't terribly helpful as the formatting is problematic. We have a lot of APs. However this one doesn't show up.

To confirm, CPSec is disabled.

I'm not in a position to check the traffic at the moment. What's interesting is my colleague is certain she's seen this problem before, with the SSIDs being 0.... just can't remember what to do about it.

• 6.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 01:19 PM

Hi,

It looks we need to do log level debugging , I advice you to open a case with TAC.

• 7.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 01:30 PM

What AOS version do you have installed ?

What controller are you using ?

• 8.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Feb 23, 2015 03:03 PM
    Hey folks, please read the thread before asking questions... The answer may already be there ;)

Anyway, it's the latest Aruba OS. Controller is a 7240
    Interestingly I just tried again and it worked! There's something odd going on. I'm going to factory reset again and see what happens. Pretty clear this is a bad/failing AP.

• 9.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 23, 2015 07:31 PM

Ultimate_Fish,

We do not have enough information to understand what is wrong.  You should really open a TAC case.

• 10.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Mar 13, 2015 06:04 AM

I've been going through our collection of broken stuff and have found another AP135 that displays the same issue... 

So I can tell you it's UDP 8211 that's in the show datapath session on the controller.

I've opened a TAC case... But given how many APs we have and that nobody else has reported this problem on their network I still suspect I have a broken AP and (probably) one that's unreliable.

• 11.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 13, 2015 06:07 AM

You should really open a support case.  Everyone on this board here is just guessing.  Support will be able to leverage all of the information.  It is possible that you have something misconfigured or something is really broken.  You cannot be helped if we only have limited information.

• 12.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Mar 13, 2015 06:13 AM

Uh... Yeah... I've just done that. As I said in the post. 

I never contact support first unless it's urgent. I'd much rather see if anyone in the user community has experienced this problem and knows how to fix it. The Aruba TAC is good, and I have some positive experience of using that service, but any formal support contact is a time sink so is actually one of the last things I will do. 

• 13.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2015 03:38 AM

hi Ultimate_fish

Radio 1 bssid all 0's is a failure to create the wifi1 interface during bootup, most likely this is a h/w fault (check the bootup log of the AP, you will likely find it complaining about failiure to find the wlan card some error relating to creation of the wifi1 interface).

Submit the bootup log of the AP to TAC and ask for RMA.

regards

-jeff

• 14.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

Posted Mar 17, 2015 04:36 AM

Cheers Jeff,

I'd concluded it was something like that. I've raised an RMA for the second unit. Interestingly the one that started working, or at least stopped complaining about the BSSIDs being all 0 actually doesn't work if you try to provision it. Other errors about missing files... I've raised a case with TAC for that one now.

Thanks for your input, at least I know these errors are indications of hardware failure rather than a lingering database entry or something.

• 15.  RE: Unhappy AP135 won't work with controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2015 05:06 AM

no problem... there can also be some cases where this messages appears intermittently, perhaps the actual wlan card is mechanically loose or having an intermittent connectivity issue (perhaps exacerbated by temperature) and even some cases where s/w has bricked it for some reason. At any rate, you've done all the due dilligence that can be done, I am pretty sure the bootup log will tell the rest of the story for the RMA.

regards

-jeff