Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

Upgrading controller with RN-3.1.3, question about flashing RAPs

We're going to be upgrading our controller that terminates all RAPs next week.  We are currently on RN-3.1.3 code.  According to the release notes, we need to upgrade to the latest RN code first before upgrading to the latest 5 code.

My question is, should I flash the RAPs after going to the latest RN code or only after going to the latest 5 code?

note: command= apflash all local backup-partition

Aruba Employee

Re: Upgrading controller with RN-3.1.3, question about flashing RAPs

You need to do a apflash only after you go to ArubaOS 5.X. Once you have all your remote AP's on 5.X, you can have the apflash done. Please note that apflash will cause the AP's to reboot.

Aruba Employee

No need to flash the RAP's backup-partition.  The RAP's running and flash (production) images will get upgraded automatically as you upgrade the controller.  You'll only need to flash the backup partition to 5.x if you want to move to 6.x code on the controller.

If you need to factory default any of those RAPs, having 3.x in the flash (provisioning) partition will let you connect to a 5.x controller.

Aruba Employee

Agree with Mike. The intent is if you have the controllers upgraded in the future to 6.X and if you have any RAP's reset with the backup image as 3.X, RAP's will be unable to upgrade and connect to the controller on 6.X. Hence it is recommended to have the RAP's backup partition flashed when we have the controller on 5.X.

Regular Contributor I

Thank you for the info.  We will eventually go to ver 6, so we will upgrade to 5, flash all RAPs, and once all are flashed we will upgrade to ver 6.  Thank you all for answering my question.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: