Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Useful SNMPs to monitor a controller

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Useful SNMPs to monitor a controller

Posted Feb 19, 2015 09:52 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking for usefull OIDs to monitor in an Aruba Controller deployment using an SNMP-based NMS.

I was thinking about things like monitoring the errors at a physical port level in the controller. I just could find ".1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.2.1.2.1.32.0 - wlsxSysExtPacketLossPercent" that indicates the percentage of total errors in the switch, but not numbers per port.

Counting down/total APs. I found a way to check if a concrete AP is down, but could not find a counter with the number of APs down. 

Any other suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Useful SNMPs to monitor a controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 02:01 PM

There is some info in the Aruba/AirWave Best Practices guide (Appendix A has a list of traps).  Beyond that, you can use a MIB viewing utility to see what OIDs are available.  Is there a reason the customer is not looking at AirWave?

• 3.  RE: Useful SNMPs to monitor a controller

Posted Mar 02, 2015 03:05 PM

Hi Rob,

the customer already has Airwave in place. But they have their own monitoring tools, in the NOC, and they want to continue using them. So they asked for interesting OIDs that could provide info. I suggested some things after checking the OIDs with MIB Browser, but couldn't find them in the overhelming list with short descriptions

• 4.  RE: Useful SNMPs to monitor a controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2015 03:14 PM

If you can provide more insight on what data they're looking for (are they looking for client, device up down, wired/wireless etc), then I can point out the general MIB tables.  You might also want to try contacting the engineering PLMs as well.

• 5.  RE: Useful SNMPs to monitor a controller

Posted Mar 04, 2015 12:30 PM

We would really like to be able to graph these radius authentication issues below from AMP.

We have multiple backend radius servers which are authenticating to our campus LDAP servers.

We are finding by experimentation the upper limit of auths/sec our LDAP and radius servers, and also our controllers can sustain.

For us we see a large swing in auths/sec when thousands of students all exit class at the same time.

RADIUS Authentication Issues for devices in folder Top and subfolders | Return to Home Overview

Event Type                                                                                                                                              Last 2 Hours     Last 24 Hours       Total
    Authentication server request timed out for server1.fsu.edu0019
    Authentication server request timed out for server2.fsu.edu089385
    Authentication server request timed out for server3.fsu.edu012824