Wireless Access

Contributor I

User field in show ap database long

I did a show ap databse long and got the fields below. One that caught my eye was the user field. We couldn definitely make use of this field but I cann determine if it is a dynamic or static field. I checked the CLI refernce giuude for 6.2 and there is no mention of it. We are running 6.2.1.7. 

Is the field static? If so, how can I change it?

Name     Group        AP Type  IP Address      Status              Flags  Wired MAC Address  Serial #   Port  FQLN  Outer IP        User

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: User field in show ap database long

What data are you looking for? I believe this field is used for RAPs

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Contributor I

I am hoping to be able to populate it with the user name of the RAP. I can assign a description but that field does not appear in the ap database.

The use case is to find a RAP by user name. We number the RAP sequentially and we have a spreadheet with the name of the end user and the RAP name. It would be valable to do a "show ap databse | include username" when trying to troubleshoot the RAP of a specific user.

Contributor I

Allow to phrase that better, I would like th populate the user field with the user name of the RAP user, not the RAP itself.

i.e. RAP-045 might be used by johnnykilo. Id like to be able to search on the term johnnykilo and find the RAP.

Guru Elite

The fields cannot be customized.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Contributor I

So how does the user field get populated? It is blank in my case.  Output below.

Untitled.png

MVP

did you provision the RAPs with users? or did you do it certificate based?

Guru Elite

johnnykilo wrote:

So how does the user field get populated? It is blank in my case.  Output below.

Untitled.png

Johnnykilo,

That field was used for RAP authorization, where you can make a user with a RAP "authorize" that they are a legitimate user before the RAP can be used deployed using Zero touch provisioning.  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Web_Help_Index.htm#ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/Advanced_Configuration_O1.htm

After the user "authorizes" the RAP, the username of user who authorized the RAP would appear in the list above.

With the of ease of deployment of Aruba Activate and IAPs as RAPs, this method (zero touch provisining) is used much less.

Like cappalli says, the username is not configurable, so you would not be able to populate it outside of the process above.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Perfect, thanks. I am just learning about the RAP authentication methods, makes sesnse now.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: