Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

VIA - automating installation & updating

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  VIA - automating installation & updating

MVP
    Posted Nov 09, 2013 09:37 AM

This probably is more of an AD question than anything else but hey, that's what I have the least experience with.

How are you handeling the installation of the VIA client for your domains computers and how do you keep then up-to-date?

Probably the easiest to get the client initialy installed without having to get the user to do anything is to use the software installation through a GPO.

Now what happens if I also enable auto-update in the client profile and the controllers VIA clients get updated before the GPO is updated? Will this create some ping-pong effect or will the latest version simply be victorious?

Also, regarding the softweare GPO, is there an easy way to pre-download the correct connection profiles?

Any more "make my life easier" stuff I'm forgetting here?

• 2.  RE: VIA - automating installation & updating

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 09, 2013 10:26 AM

@KoenV wrote:

This probably is more of an AD question than anything else but hey, that's what I have the least experience with.

How are you handeling the installation of the VIA client for your domains computers and how do you keep then up-to-date?

Probably the easiest to get the client initialy installed without having to get the user to do anything is to use the software installation through a GPO.

Now what happens if I also enable auto-update in the client profile and the controllers VIA clients get updated before the GPO is updated? Will this create some ping-pong effect or will the latest version simply be victorious?

Also, regarding the softweare GPO, is there an easy way to pre-download the correct connection profiles?

Any more "make my life easier" stuff I'm forgetting here?

2 Caveats:

1 - You can only install the VIA client with a profile if the msiexec switch has a username and password:

msiexec.exe /q /I ansetup.msi GETCONFIG=1 GATEWAY=<remote server> AUTHPROFILE=<profile name> USER=<username> PASSWORD=<password> [NOCERTWARN=1]

where
    GETCONFIG=1 forces the configuration to be downloaded automatically post install
    NOCERTWARN=1 ignores any https certificate issues while downloading profile. Optional.

You are not going to want to push a GPO with a username and password with it

2 - When a user logs in, that is when we understand what profiles are available to that user, anyway, so you probably only want to push the gateway and nocertwarn upon installation

msiexec.exe /q /I ansetup.msi GATEWAY=<remote server> NOCERTWARN=1

After VIA is started up the user logs in an gets to choose a profile.  That is if you want to install from scratch using a GPO.

Once it is installed, you can just post the new files on the controller and it will prompt the user to update.  You just want to make sure the GPO files and the controller files are the same version, OR disable the GPO push, so that the controller has control over the updating.

• 3.  RE: VIA - automating installation & updating

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2013 01:58 PM

Do you have ClearPass?  If so, you can use the OnGuard agent as well.  We now have embedded VIA into it.  Not only is deployment easy but any updates to it can be set up to notify the user to upgrade.