Wireless Access

Contributor I

VLAN Pooling

I have a single VAP/SSID which has thousands of users. I assume, I should use a VLAN pool even for a single VAP given the large size. I assume that I would also create a DHCP address pool for each VLAN in the VLAN pool. Each DHCP size is /24 but the sum of all the DHCP address pools is thousands in my case.

If I only use one VLAN with lots of addresses then I only need to create one DHCP and configure one gateway (which is off the controller). If I use a VLAN pool (each with a DHCP address pool) then I need to create a DHCP and configure a separate gateway for each VLAN in the pool. Is this correct? 

Thank-you.

BTW, I deeply appreciate the amazingly quick responsiveness of this forum.

Guru Elite

Re: VLAN Pooling

MortKaye wrote:

I have a single VAP/SSID which has thousands of users. I assume, I should use a VLAN pool even for a single VAP given the large size. I assume that I would also create a DHCP address pool for each VLAN in the VLAN pool. Each DHCP size is /24 but the sum of all the DHCP address pools is thousands in my case.

If I only use one VLAN with lots of addresses then I only need to create one DHCP and configure one gateway (which is off the controller). If I use a VLAN pool (each with a DHCP address pool) then I need to create a DHCP and configure a separate gateway for each VLAN in the pool. Is this correct? 

Thank-you.

BTW, I deeply appreciate the amazingly quick responsiveness of this forum.

You are correct on both.

If you can please download and read Chapter 4 of the Aruba Campus Wireless Networks Validated Reference Design (Version 8) on the page here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/

It explains VLAN pooling in detail.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

The VRD documentation discusses VLAN pooling across multiple VAP/SSIDs.  The value in this case is clear.

In my case, I am considering VLAN pools for a single VAP/SSID with a very large number of clients.  Is the value here to manage broadcasts (ie ARP broadcasts)?  I wouldn't think so because the Mobility Controller always maintains MAC and IP address information for all associated clients so ARP broadcasts are not necessary.  I would appreciate your help to understand if VLAN pools are equally valuable for a single, large VAP/SSID and what that value would be.

Thanks.

Guru Elite

MortKaye wrote:

The VRD documentation discusses VLAN pooling across multiple VAP/SSIDs.  The value in this case is clear.

In my case, I am considering VLAN pools for a single VAP/SSID with a very large number of clients.  Is the value here to manage broadcasts (ie ARP broadcasts)?  I wouldn't think so because the Mobility Controller always maintains MAC and IP address information for all associated clients so ARP broadcasts are not necessary.  I would appreciate your help to understand if VLAN pools are equally valuable for a single, large VAP/SSID and what that value would be.

Thanks.

It will certainly work for a single VAP and it is equally valuable.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Indeed, I have since been able to identify some clear values for VLAN pooling with my scenario and I will be using it.

Thank-you.

Occasional Contributor I

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add information to it in case someone else is looking for details on pooling.

The VRD mentioned in this thread is an excellent resource, and should be reviewed prior to doing the pooling.

With the hash assignment option (the default for pools), a client will retain the IP address and vlan they are initially assigned. This is important where your clients connect to specific services that require, or work better, when they keep the same address.

With the even assignment option, clients may get different IP addresses as they move from AP to AP. This can be made to work like the hash option by setting the "Preserve Client VLAN" option in the VAP.

We had a problem where our Pool was not honoring the hash option, and the fix was to recreate the pool and reassign it to the VAP's.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: