Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Very high number of wireless devices returning from winter break

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Very high number of wireless devices returning from winter break

Posted Jan 26, 2012 11:21 AM

It seems an alarmingly high number of wireless devices have returned to our campus this week.  After at least of year of steadily increasing numbers, we are now seeing a roughly 40% increase since last December.  At first I didn't believe what I was seeing and opened a case with the Aruba TAC to confirm reporting was accurate.  Tied into this, we upgraded from 3.x to 6.1.2.6 earlier this month and I thought this could be related.  Apparently not the case, everything we've looked at tells us that the numbers are accurate.  I'm still looking a stats, but haven't been able to come up with anything yet.

Is anyone else seeing this magnitude of increase in devices over winter break ?

• 2.  RE: Very high number of wireless devices returning from winter break

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2012 11:31 AM

We didn't see that kind of increase. What does the device distribution look like? Are you seeing a lot of Kindles, Nooks, iPads?

We also upgraded to 6.1.2.5 over the break, from 5.0.3.1.

• 3.  RE: Very high number of wireless devices returning from winter break

Posted Jan 26, 2012 11:48 AM

I'm thinking the Christmas break didn't help your device count :)

Looking at Aruba's numbers over the last year we've seen probably a 60% increase of devices in the corporate network. Some of that is hiring, but it's not 1-1. Practically everyone at work is now carrying two devices, I show up with 3-4 devices every day. Count in wireless printers, game consoles, digital picture frames, etc. and you're going to get a ton of new devices. Our planning guides are recommending at every user now count for at least two devices.

-awl

• 4.  RE: Very high number of wireless devices returning from winter break

Posted Feb 04, 2012 07:01 PM

It turns out to be a combination of things.  For one, we are actually seeing an increase in devices of ~30%.  Thanks to OS 6.x i can see that most of those are iPhones.  My AMP server was reporting another 20% over that, which is  a bug that even Airwave 7.4.6 couldn't resolve.  We're told that Aruba OS 6.1.2.7 will fix the reporting.

• 5.  RE: Very high number of wireless devices returning from winter break

Posted Jul 09, 2012 10:25 AM

I have noticed at least a 50% increase in the use of mobile devices on our wireless since Christmas/New Years break. The three primary devices, in order from greatest to least are Android based phones, iPhones and iPads. I have seen no real usage of Android based tablets here.

Location wise (for you statistic people LOL), we are CFCC in Wilmington, NC