Wireless Access

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Web-cc HTTPS Block Page

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Web-cc HTTPS Block Page

Posted May 16, 2017 01:37 PM
    Hi,

On a controller with the web-cc subscription license I've enabled some web filtering but sites that are secured with HTTPS and are in a blocked category do not show a block page.

For sites in a blocked categoty:
    HTTP sites are blocked and a block page displays.
    HTTPS sites are blocked but no block page loads.

This looks to the customer, and me, like it's not working as it should.

Should a block page be shown when a HTTPS site is blocked?

#AirheadsMobile

• 2.  RE: Web-cc HTTPS Block Page
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 17, 2017 04:12 AM

Hey, I haven't had much exposure to Web-cc component but I know from many other vendors that generally it is not possible to provide a block page when HTTPS is blocked unless the device is doing HTTPS decryption and can perform a re-direct. 

• 3.  RE: Web-cc HTTPS Block Page

Posted May 17, 2017 04:18 AM

I had confirmation.

The SSL encrypted HTTP session is between the client and the web hosting server, invisible to the controller/IAP. The controller/IAP can therefore not intercept any HTTP GET messages and respond with a redirect to a ‘web page blocked’ page. Enterprise proxy solutions, such as Blue Coat and ForcePoint , terminate the SSL tunnel, playing man-in-the-middle, which allows full content classification. This would however require the SSL certificate of the proxy to be installed on all clients in order to avoid warnings and errors (via GPO).