Wireless Access

Guest Blogger

What survey model do you lead with?

Just got off the phone with a fellow engineer in the UK. It was a conversation around  what survey model are engineers leading with today. I thought this was a great topic for a forum post to get a sense what everyone is using ? 

Active Survey - Whereby mapping wifi coverage with an ap on a stick approach, which is very labor intensive, but much more accurate. 

Blue Print Survey (predictive) - Whereby you take a floor plan and use software to map the planed area of coverage and then follow up with a passive survey when deployed.

Personally I use a hybrid of both. All depends on the need. If its voice, I almost always do active, I just don't want any surprises. I do predictive if the budget can't justify the cost of active or the area of coverage is needed for data only. 

What do you lead with and why?

Guru Elite

Re: What survey model do you lead with?

[ Edited ]

gstefanick wrote:

Just got off the phone with a fellow engineer in the UK. It was a conversation around  what survey model are engineers leading with today. I thought this was a great topic for a forum post to get a sense what everyone is using ? 

Active Survey - Whereby mapping wifi coverage with an ap on a stick approach, which is very labor intensive, but much more accurate. 

Blue Print Survey (predictive) - Whereby you take a floor plan and use software to map the planed area of coverage and then follow up with a passive survey when deployed.

Personally I use a hybrid of both. All depends on the need. If its voice, I almost always do active, I just don't want any surprises. I do predictive if the budget can't justify the cost of active or the area of coverage is needed for data only. 

What do you lead with and why?

If you get no replies, that is probably because everyone absolutely agrees with you.

The most important tool on your side is experience.  There are plenty of times, where the device(s) that you use to collect information malfunctions and you need to make a decision about whether to collect again because of an anomaly or use a separate device to confirm what you are seeing.  You also need to know ballpark numbers that you would expect so you can make adjustments.

Site surveys in general are time consuming.  You don't want to spend all of that time just to collect useless data...

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guest Blogger

LOL.. we both might be surprised! I actually have a fellow engineer who ONLY does predictive. His reasoning, well Im not buying it entirely. 

Guru Elite

I'm sure we all do only predictive surveys until we get caught out there.  Perfectly natural behavior ;)

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guest Blogger

I also agree 100% on the experience reference. Understanding survey is one of the most important fundamental processes that should be learned by anyone deploying wireless. All to often, its overlooked or not looked at seriously. Knowing the wireless is designed correctlyhelps speed up the troubleshooting process, if you have problems. You dont have to go back and "check" the deisgn. 

Guest Blogger

LOL... just takes getting caught once for me *cough * cough .. 

Guru Elite

I smell a "finer points of active and passive surveys" blog post coming on.

Bring it.

Colin Joseph

New Contributor

I only do active and find predictive to be a waste of time.  The point of conducting a survey is to find the limitations of the structure and then design around those limitatitons or even better to make the limitations work to your favor.

Guru Elite

That is good feedback!

Colin Joseph

MVP

[ Edited ]

I have a fairly simple set of rules and views on "real" or "virtual" surveying.

1. Virtual surveys are for estimates/tender responses and bid work.

2. Real surveys are for situations where we have an operational or contractual commitment to deliverables to a customer.

That is to say, real surveys are recommended by me where there is a cost consequence of a mistake (specifically to my business, but also the customer obviously). Where it's cost prohibitive or impossible to do a real survey, virtual surveying is fine as long as all parties understand the risks and value of them.

In summary, they both have their place!

Kudos appreciated, but I'm not hunting! (ACMX 104)
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: