Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Where do the AP's get their IP address from?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Where do the AP's get their IP address from?

Posted Dec 02, 2013 10:22 AM

I am trying to setup some monitoring on remote sites that have RAP-5WNs attached to telco circuits with dynamic IP addressing. I want to setup some ping monitors in WhatsUpGold to let me know if these AP's go down. I am unable to do this because the RAP's seem to be getting thier internal IP's dynamically.  I am unable to ping them by name either.  My next thought was to just setup resrvations for the IP's so that they keep getting the same one but I found that our DHCP server is not handing the addresses out. I also looked on the aruba controller and can not find out where the DHCP scope is at for this range 10.75.75.X.  Is thier any other places I should be looking or does aruba dynamically just hand out this range and thier is no way to setup reservations in it?

Thanks,

Andy

• 2.  RE: Where do the AP's get their IP address from?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2013 10:29 AM

@AGarner wrote:

I am trying to setup some monitoring on remote sites that have RAP-5WNs attached to telco circuits with dynamic IP addressing. I want to setup some ping monitors in WhatsUpGold to let me know if these AP's go down. I am unable to do this because the RAP's seem to be getting thier internal IP's dynamically.  I am unable to ping them by name either.  My next thought was to just setup resrvations for the IP's so that they keep getting the same one but I found that our DHCP server is not handing the addresses out. I also looked on the aruba controller and can not find out where the DHCP scope is at for this range 10.75.75.X.  Is thier any other places I should be looking or does aruba dynamically just hand out this range and thier is no way to setup reservations in it?

Thanks,

Andy

The IP address for a RAP is given out in the Address Pools, under VPN Services.  You can try putting in the ip address of the RAP in the whitelist to try to get the same ip address all of the time.  A better way to monitor it might be to monitor SNMP traps from the controller for the AP down message to see when access points go up and down.