Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:35 AM
    While roaming from 1 AP to another, the roaming takes time, like it takes 20-30 sec to connect to the new AP even if i am standing right down of it. Connected to 1 AP and then passed 2 other Apr but still connected to the first AP.

Sometimes it disconnects the wifi when it crosses -80dBm and then reconnect to take the new AP. can anyone help me with this? The firmware version is 6.5.4.8

• 2.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:40 AM

You typically have roaming issues when the ARM min and max transmit power is too high.  I would try to set ARM min transmit power to 12 and arm Max transmit power to 18 to start and see if roaming improves.

• 3.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:41 AM
    Same ARM min and max for both the radios(a and g)??

• 4.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:43 AM
    Also what should be the transmit eirp under the advanced tab in radio? Right now, I put it as 27 under radio a.

• 5.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:43 AM

What are your settings right now?

• 6.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:48 AM
    Pls find the attachments

• 7.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 04:54 AM

Disable handoff trigger.

Disable 802.11k

Disable 802.11r

Disable 80 mhz channels.

Try to see if roaming improves after that.  The first 3 parameters are not the defaults, and we need to make sure they do not affect roaming.

• 8.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:17 AM
    Disabled 802.11k and .11r.
    Disabled handoff trigger.
    Still the same only. Connected to one AP and passed 2 other APs and didn't pick the new one. When crossed -80dBm got disconnected for 3-4 second and connected to the new AP. Pls find the attachments.
    Now I will check with disabling 80 mhz support

• 9.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:25 AM
    While disabling 80mhz, it returns an error message saying that 160mhz should be disabled first. Is it really required to disable the 80mhz

• 10.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:29 AM
    Should I degrade the OS from 6.5.4.8 to down? The os version was 6.5.1.4 but the 2 outdoor APs(365) which we're having had higher firmware and weren't joining the controller. So we upgraded to 6.5.4.8 and loaded all APs with that image.

• 11.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 05:52 AM

Do not downgrade.

Can you disable 160 and 80?

• 12.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 06:03 AM

Wait.

I see in your other thread that this is a warehouse.  There are quite a few things that could cause your issue, outside of changing knobs, BUT, you should not be running 80 or 160 mhz wide channels in a warehouse.  You should aim for 20mhz, so that you do not have roaming issues.

Did you use a contractor/VAR to design your warehouse implementation?

• 13.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 06:05 AM
    Here we have a warehouse and office. Office is having 2 floors and 4 aps each in both the floors. 15 Aps in the warehouse. Todays screenshots are from the office only.

• 14.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 07:03 AM
    Still the problem persists. Now I feel that it takes more time to roam in to the new AP, even if I am standing right down the AP. Pls find the attachments.
    Disabled 16p and 80

• 15.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:16 AM

I don't know what application you are using to measure the RF, but it seems like you are running 40mhz on the 2.4ghz band.  Is that the case?

• 16.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:21 AM
    Pls find the attachments

• 17.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:23 AM

Allowed bands for 40mhz channels should be "none."

• 18.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:29 AM
    Changed but still it's not roaming seamlessly. Now most if the people are in 2.4 Ghz as I disabled 40 and 80 Mhz they are not able take advantage of 5Ghz. Pls find the attachment

• 19.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:00 AM
    Now when moving at some locations it's roaming and takes time at some other locations. Should I put the warehouse APs and office aps in 2 different grps? In the warehouse, the aps are kept nearby and so they'll be arranging their transmission power accordingly and it'll be affecting the office Aps also.

But still I wonder why it takes time to roam when I am standing right under the AP.

• 20.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:03 AM

There should be a separate AP group for office and warehouse access points, because they typically require much different parameters.

Who designed this network?

What model access points are these?

How far apart are the access points in the office?

How high up are the access points in the office mounted?

How far apart are the access points in the warehouse?

How high up are the access points in the warehouse mounted?

• 21.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:56 AM
    I am just do8ng the configuration part. AP installation was done by the client only. Now in the warehouse, there is no disconnection in the warehouse .

In the warehouse the Aps are at a height of 15m.
    In the office, they're at a height of 2.5-3m

• 22.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 18, 2018 09:58 AM
    So, if I am putting the office Aps in separate group other than the default group, can I enable the 80 and 160 mhz as the client is looking for ac connectivity and speed here at the office. If we 're disabling 80mhz, then they can't use 802.11ac features

• 23.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 10:11 AM

@m.ameen wrote:
    So, if I am putting the office Aps in separate group other than the default group, can I enable the 80 and 160 mhz as the client is looking for ac connectivity and speed here at the office. If we 're disabling 80mhz, then they can't use 802.11ac features

You can enable 80 and 160 mhz in the office AP-group, yes.  I don't know if any clients actually suport 160 mhz.  Depending on your density, you would not want to run 80mhz channels without enabling DFS channels.

• 24.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 19, 2018 04:15 AM

If I am putting the APs in different groups, can I ceate the same ssids which I created for the warehouse group for office group too, with the same vlans? 

i am not at the site now and will be able to go there only after couple of days.

• 25.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 19, 2018 05:45 AM

You can put the same Virtual APs, yes.

• 26.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 19, 2018 09:54 AM

Hi,

when configuring the group for the Office space, please consider the "RF and Roaming Optimization for ac Networks" document.

It is recommended (and in my experience really important) not to have the same power settings for 2,4 and 5GHz as this will make huge 2,4 or small 5GHz cell sizes.

I also often resolved roaming issues by setting parameters on the client or simply by updating the WLAN drivers on the clients.

Be also aware, that r/k/v are not supported on Windows <10. So in Win7 environments I had significant improvement with disabling r/k/v.

Regards,

SamKnut

• 27.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Sep 19, 2018 01:56 PM

Ok, I will go through that document before making the changes.

• 28.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Oct 07, 2018 03:55 AM

Hi, So , if I am putting the office wlan and warehouse wlan in two different groups, How can I add the same virtual Ap for them, so they will be broadcasting the same ssids and network?

I am putting them into different group only for making config changes for both the sites without affecting the other one.

@cjoseph wrote:

You can put the same Virtual APs, yes.

• 29.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 07, 2018 05:47 AM

You can do this:

config t

ap-group <new group>

clone <old group>

You will have to create new radio profiles and ARM profiles for the new ap-group, because it will be pointing at the profiles for the old group.

• 30.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Oct 29, 2018 03:54 AM
    If I am making this two groups for office and warehouse, will there be roaming possible between this two AP groups?

• 31.  RE: WiFi connection getting disconnected while roaming

Posted Oct 29, 2018 04:03 AM

Yes.