Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

I'm an end user with a RAP5-WN device.

Occasionally when I try to connect to my work network via the wired port on my RAP5, Windows network fails to connect giving me an "Authentication Error".  If I disable the Validate server certificate under LAN properties > authentication (see attachment), it connects fine.

Is this a simple solution?  My network admin doesn't know why this happens or why this solution works.

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: Windows 7: Authentication Error and Validate server certificate

That is because your Windows 7 computer does not trust the CA of the Radius Server's certificate.  You need to ensure that the Radius Server's certificate is in the trusted store of the computer.  You could also need the whole certificate chain trusted, depending on the CA.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Is this a problem that has to be resolved on the server side or client side or both?  Sorry if that seems ignorant.  Trying to provide my network guys with as much info as I can.

Guru Elite

It has to be resolved on the client side.  You should search for "how to install a trusted root authority in windows" in google and filter on your operating system for instructions on how to do that.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

the question is who issued the server certificate for your radius server? The CA that issued that certificate...its certificate needs to be in your client's store.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: