Wireless Access

MVP

Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

Just a quick check with other customers whether you've seen this anomoly. We have seen several devices (all windows phones) that show up in the user-table as the default-gateway IP address. Of course, this adversely affects service for users within that affected subnet.

We have since updated our "validuser" ACL to account for this, but I'm mainly concerned why we were seeing this in the first place and moreso what these windows phones are doing.

(Yes, we have a case opened.)

Anyone else seeing this?

==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
Aruba Employee

Re: Windows Phones assuming the default gateway IP

Hey Ryan,

Ever get anything more on this or find a root cause?

MVP

We experienced this issue and in order to fix it we have implement "enforce-dhcp" under the aaa profile and after we haven't seen it again.

Another solution would be to add and deny all the IP gateways to the valid user table.

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

That's what we did: deny the gateways using a "static-addresses" alias within the validuser policy. "enforce-dhcp" didn't make me feel comfortable, as I could envision some devices not sending a DHCP Request when roaming to an adjacent controller and simply trying to use their last known IP address. I wouldn't want to cause more issues by enabling this feature.

But no, we still don't know/understand why these Windows Phones are doing this, but honestly, I've stopped looking into it since Aruba offers no mechanism to catch what is happening reliably without capturing/logging ALL traffic into the controller.

==========
Ryan Holland, ACDX #1 ACMX #1
The Ohio State University
MVP

In our case the user never brought the phone so we can troubleshoot .

Something strange that we noticed was that at some point the device was being classified as a OSX device (controller side)

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Aruba Employee

Thanks, yeah I was looking for a root cause to help decide which of the two ways to direct another customer.  Looks like new aliases and updates to the 'valisuser' acl are the safe, albeit more labor intensive, option we have to go with then.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: