Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Xfinity WiFi Interference

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Xfinity WiFi Interference

Posted Mar 08, 2016 09:05 PM

Xfinity just installed a new Arris TG1682G WiFi modem/router and it is interfering with my AP-105.  What is the best way to setup the AP-105 so it lets the 'closer' clients see it?  The Arris is too far away to give a good signal, but clients are still picking it up vs the AP-105.

• 2.  RE: Xfinity WiFi Interference

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2016 09:17 PM

Do you have the same SSID on the Xfinity and the AP-105?

• 3.  RE: Xfinity WiFi Interference

Posted Mar 08, 2016 09:27 PM
    Yes, same SSID

• 4.  RE: Xfinity WiFi Interference

Posted Mar 08, 2016 09:35 PM
    Yes, same SSID

• 5.  RE: Xfinity WiFi Interference
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 09, 2016 06:00 AM

Hi,

first of all, you are using different vendors to create an ESSID. That could cause a lot of problems.

I would check if the devices are using different encryptions. A device which connects to the SSID "xyz" with WPA2/AES, maybe wont roam to the SSID "xyz" with WPA/TKIP. Then you can increase the EIRP of the AP to get a better signal strength.

You have to know, that the client decides where to connect. When he decides for his own, you cant really tell him to connect to your AP. You need to "attack" the client from you wifi infrastructure to force him to roam away from unmanaged access points.

• 6.  RE: Xfinity WiFi Interference

Posted Mar 09, 2016 07:15 AM
    Thanks! It didn't occur to me that encryption might be the issue!