Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

ap-335's operating in restricted mode

I have some new ap-335's and they are operating in restricted mode. The status light is flashing green and according to datasheet thats what flashing indicates. 

It says this is either due to the link not being 1gb or not enough power. All our Aruba ap's run on poe, we have mix of 105, 225, 135, 175 and now 335. all our switches are hp procurve 2910al (one 2920 due to hp warranty sending us the wrong replacement). I have hooked up 3 of the 335's on different switches and all have the same issue. 

when i look at the switch it shows they are getting 25.5w. I tried with and without lldp, no difference.

here is a snippit from debug report on the ap:

-----------------begin paste -----------------

Power Status
------------
Operational State POE-AT: USB port disabled (Overridden by LLDP)
----------------- -----------------------------------------------
Current HW State POE-AF: USB disabled, 1x1 chain for both Radios
LLDP Negotiated POE Power 25.5W

----------------- end paste ---------------------

i am not sure what to make of this. it says its "operational state" is AT but the "Current HW State" is AF but its getting a reported 25.5W...

Re: ap-335's operating in restricted mode

forgot to mention that i verified link is gigabit, with another device and fluke link runner.

Guru Elite

Does that switch support 802.11at standard specifically? It looks like just 802.3af...

The current HW state is what you need to pay attention to..

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

it does support 802.3at.  the switch shows its delivering 25.5W.

the ap-225's we have dont have any issues, they use around 20W.

Guru Elite

What version of ArubaOS is this?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Contributor I

Is the System status LED or Radio status LED blinking? According to the install guide for the AP the System status LED flashing green means it either negotiated <1Gbps or the Ethernet radio is in non-HT mode. 

I've had a lot of PoE issues with the 325s. Usually when it is in PoE restricted mode the Radio light is blinking Green / Amber due to radios being tuned down. 

I've also understood the HW Current as being what the AP physically senses on layer 1 when plugged into the switch, which for PoE is 802.3af. Once the AP boots up it uses LLDP to negotiate with the switch to increase the power level. Hence you see the lower HW Current at 802.3af and the Operational current at 802.3at.

If you run the command "show ap details <ap-name>" that will tell you the stats on the radios. 

when i ran ap details it says high through put is enabled. 

i posted a snippet of the ap debug info above.

above joel says "current hw state" is the important one which says its running in 1x1 mode. that is my main concern. 

just to state it since i didnt clarify previously. the wireless/radio led is solid green.

any ideas how i can verify if it is operating in 1x1 mode?  that is my main concern, if its in 1x1 it is pointless to replace the 225 in that location.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: