Wireless Access

MVP

backtrack user cracked my WPA2-AES (key: kia4ever) in just 10min ? how do i block it?

Hi,

Today earlier,A backtrack user cracked my WPA2-AES (key: kia4ever) in just 10min... :smileyfrustrated:

Aruba 620 6.1.3.0 please advise.

is there anyway to block the packet colliection by backtrack?! (in example: WIP/RFP)

please advise.

thanks.

me

*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************
Frequent Contributor I

Re: backtrack user cracked my WPA2-AES (key: kia4ever) in just 10min ? how do i block it?

No, the only protection is to use a stronger PSK or switch to 802.1X/EAP.   The only data needed to crack a PSK is the SSID and a capture of a 4-way handshake - both of these can be obtained through passive sniffing which is not detectable by WIDS.  

If you absolutely have to use a PSK, you should use 13+ random characters.  Do NOT use dictionary words.  

MVP

Re: backtrack user cracked my WPA2-AES (key: kia4ever) in just 10min ? how do i block it?

My first step after setting up our PSK SSID(s) is to fire up Backtrack and try to hack it myself so I'll know what to expect.

It's a bit depressing how easy it is to get in.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
MVP

[ Edited ]

yep... Backtrack doing the life much easier to hack WPA2..
But i still dont understand... i used a key: "kia4ever"
it's not a known key in any famous pass list....(checked it all the weekend) - using the handshake method.
+
as far as i aware another method is using reaver ...but...it's using WPS..and Aruba dosent do WPS...

please advise.

*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************
MVP

8 characters is just too easy to brute force -- every additional character raises the time to crack considerably.

We've changed it, but our last PSK was "a hat is a good thing" -- silly but easy enough to remember, and long enough to crush the brute force folks. (or at least make them go hack the neighbors)

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
MVP

I would have to agree with Mat.

Our customers demand a 31-character key for PSK's when WPA2 is involved if no 802.1x is possible for whatever reason.

you PSK has 2 dictionary words in it so in my opinion it shouldn't take long to crack and it didn't, you said 10min....

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: