Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

client connecting issue

Hi,

I have a device 802.11n 5Ghz,i could see that client is conneting 2.4ghz radio instead of 5Ghz?

Why does it happening ?

Thanks

Guru Elite

Re: client connecting issue

Because clients do whatever they want.

You can encourage it to connect on the 5ghz by making sure that the 5ghz radio is 6db is stronger than the 2.4ghz radio on the same AP.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

Could you clarify , how can  i do that 

Thanks

Guru Elite

Is this an Aruba Controller deployment or an Aruba Instant Deployment?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

The free space path loss is higher for 5GHz than for 2.4 GHz. So 5GHz signal get attenuated more for the same disatnce and clients tend to connect to 2.4 GHz if the signal strength is below a threshold based on client's driver algo.

To address this problem Aruba came up with a feature called "Bandsteering". Once you enable this in either "Prefer-5GHz" or "Force 5GHz" or "Band balance" modes, clients connection to 2.4 GHz would be denied initially and clients will made to prefer or forced to connect to 5GHz or client count balanced between 2.4 & 5 GHz.

You can find more information about this on:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/What-is-the-band-steering-feature-and-how-does-it-help-us/ta-p/172154

Thanks,
Abilash (ACCP, CWSP, CWAP, CWDP)
(Above answer is based on my knowledge and NOT an official statement from Aruba)
[Hit Kudos if my reply helps. ]
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: