Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

controller selection

Customer need 95 AP

Which controller should be selected

If I go with 7210 – its costly

If I go with 7030 – the limitation is 64 AP and 64 remote

Is it possible to cluster 2 x 7030 controller were in 64 we can join in one controller and remaining in one controller

Or with only one controller out of 90 AP change remaining to RAP

Frequent Contributor II

Re: controller selection

Hi

First of all, there is no difference when running RAP or CAP anymore. It used to be 1 CAP per 4 RAP, but that is gone.

So when 7030 can run 64 AP, you can run 64 CAP or 64 RAP.

At the same time, you can always have 2 (7030) controllers, either in a master-local if you wish or just separated.

There is no problem running on controller with CAP and the other with RAP.

You just have to make profiles so that the correct AP's are terminated on it's own controller.

By just looking at controllers and how many AP's they can terminate, the old 3600 is capable of running 128 AP's.

There are a few nifty features you will not get, but as i don't know what your requirements are, i thought i would at least mention it.

Roar Fossen

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

The two 7030s would work. Also keep in mind that you should not use RAP mode in a campus type environment.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Occasional Contributor I

Hi thanks for response can i use 1 qty of 7030 controller and connect 100 AP i am aware that the mentioned controller only support 64AP in LAN and 64 in remote i was thinking what if i take 95 AP and 1 controller 7030 take 90+ license and change few access mode in RAP and few in LAN and terminate all the network is LAN all device are in same campus
Frequent Contributor II

[ Edited ]

Hi

Well you could terminate all the CAP and RAP that you mention, but only 64 will broadcast SSID's. The rest will appear on the controller but will be marked with a flag, telling you that they are inactive, because of the 64 AP limitation.

As i said, there is now difference between LAN AP's and RAP's anymore.

1 AP is 1 AP, regardless of CAP or RAP they will consume 1 license.

Roar

Guru Elite

Also, have you considered Instant?

MVP

vishwanath100_in wrote:
Hi thanks for response can i use 1 qty of 7030 controller and connect 100 AP i am aware that the mentioned controller only support 64AP in LAN and 64 in remote i was thinking what if i take 95 AP and 1 controller 7030 take 90+ license and change few access mode in RAP and few in LAN and terminate all the network is LAN all device are in same campus

The maximum the controller will support is 64 APs regardless of CAP or RAP, putting a license of 90+ will be cut off at the platform limit of 64. 

You will need 2 controllers to split up the 95 APs. 

Do you have a particular need for controllers? As Tim mentioned, Instant can provide you very similar functionality but it depends on your requirements 

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Occasional Contributor I

if i select IAP 103 - 90 qty and IAP 275 outdoor 5qty

take one NAC box clear pass for guest managment

will it be ok

what about the managment plane load when accessing the virtual controller -

as i am aware that IAP is distributed architecture and traffic will locally pass for traffic to gateway

Guru Elite

Yes, that would work.

You are correct, traffic is bridged locally by the AP, but still passes through the firewall on the AP.

Contributor I

Are there any plans from Aruba for a model that bridges between the 7030 and the 7210?  We have a 3600 currently and approx 80aps.  We don't plan to expand past 128 in the near future, but would like to upgrade to a new controller and use the 3600 for redundancy.

Does anyone know if Aruba has a mid-model 7200 series (or other) in the works that will support 128aps?  64 to 512 seems like a huge market gap.

This is true of Aruba's history however.  Years ago they had the 2000 series which was too small for us and the 6000 series which was huge.  We made a giant inventment in the 6000 which was overkill, only to have aruba introdue the 3000 series a year later.  We can't afford to make that mistake again.

Any ideas?

Scott Miller
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: