Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

licence count in non centralized licensing scenario

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  licence count in non centralized licensing scenario

Posted Jun 09, 2016 06:49 AM

If a customer is not using centralized licensing, and they are going to have 1 master with 2 locals, and 40 AP's terminating on each of the locals, and they want support for local redundancy, how would I need to licence this?  Am I right in saying they would need 40 AP's on each controller, including the master, so 120 licences in total?

Thanks,

Jamie.

• 2.  RE: licence count in non centralized licensing scenario

Posted Jun 09, 2016 07:10 AM

You're using local redundancy and termination so the master wouldn't really need licenses for the AP's. For your failover scenario however, you'll need 80 on both local controllers. Because when one is down, it will need to support the 40 AP's from the other one as well. 

Using centralized licensing is a better option because you'll do fine with just 80 on the master controller. That controller will devide the licenses correctly.

• 3.  RE: licence count in non centralized licensing scenario

Posted Jun 09, 2016 07:26 AM

Thank you for your reply.  Is that definitely correct that they will not need any licences on the master?  For some reason, I thought they would need double the number of licences on each of the controllers, including the master.

• 4.  RE: licence count in non centralized licensing scenario

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2016 07:50 AM
    If you're going to fail over to the master, you'll need them on the master as well.

Why aren't you using centralized licensing?