Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

query regarding the HA redundancy with N +1 redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  query regarding the HA redundancy with N +1 redundancy

Posted Jun 08, 2016 09:10 AM

Hi, 

I have a question regarding the HA redudancy. 

If we have two local and one master controller, and all the three controllers in same HA group with dual mode, then based on the LMS IP, the active controller is selected. my question is how standby controller is selected if we have three controllers in same HA group?

Cant we get an option to select standby controller manually in the above setup?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: query regarding the HA redundancy with N +1 redundancy
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 08, 2016 09:46 AM

• 3.  RE: query regarding the HA redundancy with N +1 redundancy

Posted Jun 20, 2016 06:51 AM

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply. as per the link which you mentioned, it looks like if we have three controller in same HA group, then there will be a round robin and always the first controller in the list will be selected as a standby controller. For example, if controller 1 is active controller and if it is in the top of the HA group list, then 2nd controller will be standby controller. For 2nd and 3rd controller, 1st controller will always be a standby controller because first controller will be at the top of the list when it comes to round robin. please correct me if i am wrong. 

If my above understanding is right, is there any way that i can choose which controller can act as a standby controller by having backup LMS IP configured?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: query regarding the HA redundancy with N +1 redundancy

Posted Jul 20, 2016 06:34 AM

Hi,

We can create different HA groups by specifying the controllers that you want to act as primary/standby.

The we can map a local controller to the required HA group.

• 5.  RE: query regarding the HA redundancy with N +1 redundancy

Posted May 09, 2017 03:50 AM

We can create different HA groups by specifying the controllers that you want to act as primary/standby.

The we can map a local controller to the required HA group.

This is incorrect and adds to the misleading/inadequate doco on this feature.

A controller can only be a member of one HA group, so it is impossible to use more than one HA group for OP's scenario - the standby would need to be a member of two groups.

What seems be missing on this feature is:

• explanation of how HA interacts with LMS ip cmd
    • complete configuration examples of each scenario