Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

"User has a (yellow,red) alert"

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  "User has a (yellow,red) alert"

Posted Aug 29, 2012 11:29 PM

In VisualRF, I'm trying to decipher the message "This user has a (yellow,red) alert: User exceeds signal quality threshold".  Most clients showing up seem to have either a yellow or red alert.  Common sense would tell me this is bad, but when I click on the Diagnostic button for the client(s), everything under the "Possible Issues" table seems to be okay. I could use some help understanding the yellow and red alerts if anyone has any input.

• 2.  RE: "User has a (yellow,red) alert"

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2012 03:10 AM

What version of Airwave is this?

• 3.  RE: "User has a (yellow,red) alert"

Posted Aug 30, 2012 11:37 AM

7.2.5.  We plan to ugprade soon.

• 4.  RE: "User has a (yellow,red) alert"
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2012 01:19 PM

The yellow/red icon for clients is a configurable measurement.  The setting is dependant on what the network admin views as the threshold for bad / okay / good coverage.

Since I don't currently have a 7.2 AMP up and running, I'll give the location for AMP versions 7.1.2 and 7.5.5 - this will reflect the 2 locations for the preference settings.

In 7.1.2:

1. Navigate to VisualRF

2. drill down to any floor plan

3. pull down the 'Display'

4. in the 'Options' group -> select Change QuickView prefs (icon is a file with a gear, bottom left in the options group)

5. A preferences view should pop up, expand the 'configure preferences for' drop down -> select Users

6. Here, you can enable / disable the feature by checking / unchecking the box next to signal strength; or adjust the sliders left or right to what makes sense for your deployment.

7.  Once done, close the preference screen -> the setting change should have been saved on the fly as you made the change

In 7.5.5:

1. Navigate to VisualRF

2. In the top right of the network view, select the 'preferences' icon *(icon is a file with a gear, between site tree and help icons)

3. A preferences view should pop up, expand the 'configure preferences for' drop down -> select Clients

4. Here, you can enable / disable the feature by checking / unchecking the box next to signal strength; or adjust the sliders left or right to what makes sense for your deployment.

5. Once done, close the preference screen -> the setting change should have been saved on the fly as you made the change

I've attached images for where the Preference icon is located.

• 5.  RE: "User has a (yellow,red) alert"

Posted Sep 14, 2012 10:26 PM

Thanks for the info!  We're on 7.5.5, now.  After doing some research on SNR, I have a better understanding of what the alert is for.