Wireless Access

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

real speed of 802.11n on 2.4ghz

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  real speed of 802.11n on 2.4ghz

Posted Aug 15, 2012 02:09 AM

Okay i got this question here and i want to know what would be the max speed on 802.11n on 2.4ghz

I ask this because i nkow that the 802.11n on 5ghz is faster well because on 5ghz you can do channel bounding without any issue on 5ghz band but you cannot do it on 2.4ghz because it will overlap if you try to bound channels... and well i always see this on the controller clients on HT but on 20mhz...

Now how can the 802.11n on 2.4ghz can achive more speed? well im supposing it is because the  other 802.11n enhancemnts like improvement on OFMD and reduced guard interval and also sparcial streams....(i ask this one because im wanted to be sure if what im saying is the correct thing)

Now if in the 2.4ghz cant do channel bounding what would be the real speed of the 2.4ghz  on n ?is it 300mbs theorically? and 600 theorically on 5ghz?

• 2.  RE: real speed of 802.11n on 2.4ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2012 03:14 AM

That really depends on how many streams the APs and devices support.

For 1 stream, it is up to 72.2 Mbps connected speed, or about ~35Mbps max throughput.

2 streams, up to 144.4 Mbps connected speed, or about ~65Mbps max throughput.

A really nice point of reference is the table here, http://mcsindex.com/

• 3.  RE: real speed of 802.11n on 2.4ghz

Posted Aug 15, 2012 06:53 AM

A lot of users today have the capability of 5GHz. Have you thought about band steering so those clients would utilize this and have higher throughput? Just a suggestions. Unfortunately, there are so many factors that contribute to the 2.4.

• 4.  RE: real speed of 802.11n on 2.4ghz

Posted Aug 15, 2012 09:18 AM

yes of course i though that

This is not for configuring or anything, i do configure band steering and though that already

This topic is for me for my better understanding of the technology, i dont want just to configure wihtout knowing clearly all of this :)

Thats a nice table ill check that out later as im off to configure more Aruba :)