Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

transmit power in IAP92

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  transmit power in IAP92

Posted Mar 01, 2012 06:38 AM

I'm trial installing IAP92 connect to DAS antenna system, and found out the performance still far from we hope.

We running under 6.1.2.3-2.0.0.3_31389 with SG country code.

I need to maximaze transmit power into max due loss of cable of pigtail, splitter

Did anyone care to help me with this instant OS:

1. From datasheet, max 2.4Ghz transmit power is 23dB, what country code is that?

2. How to change country code without reset IAP to factory default?

3. How to set transmit power IAP manually to max, because even I put minimal & maximal transmit power into max, the units always show 18dB, while I have other installation with exactly the same config in SG code, shows 20dB

Thanks all

• 2.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2012 10:33 AM

The max transmit power for MIMO APs is typically the "aggregate" power, meaning the total power from all radio chains combined. For a 2x2 MIMO AP like the (I)AP-92, the per-chain power is 3dB (2x) less.

The max aggregate power for an (I)AP-92 is 21dBm not 23dBm (what datasheet are you referring to?), so the max per-chain power is 18dBm.

How did you attach the AP to the DAS system? I'm assuming the DAS system does not support MIMO, so which antenna interface was used? What's the antenna gain you provisioned? There may be additional power level restrictions for Singapore, but they will apply to EIRP power, so the antenna gain setting is critical.

• 3.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

Posted Mar 02, 2012 03:22 AM

Hi Oharms,

Right now, in  http://www.arubanetworks.com/product/aruba-instant , we can find this data:

Maximum transmit power: 
    2.4 GHz:23 dBm (limited by local regulatory requirements)
    5 GHz:23 dBm (limited by local regulatory requirements)

You are correct, that DAS system does not support MIMO, so I only connect ANT0 to the combiner, the external antenna gain setting in each APis not set yet.

The result I got right now, even below picocell antenna I only got RSSI signal -65, so in this POC, before I started to change pigtail, connector and cable etc, First I would like to make sure the AP setting give max power can transmit.

• 4.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2012 03:24 PM

The transmit power levels mentioned on the Aruba Instant page are probably an attempt to come up with a single set of numbers for all IAP platforms. In reality, this limit is not the same for all IAP models. The numbers I mentioned apply to an (I)AP-92/93. For RF details, it's best to check the datasheets for the individual AP model.

Note that when using a MIMO AP with only a single antenna connected can cause problems. You should make sure to disable any MIMO datarates (MCS8 and up). Also, did you terminate the ANT1 interface at all, or just leave it open?

It's hard to say if the -65dBm number is as expected. What exactly does the interface (from ANT0 to client radio) consist of? What connectors, cables, RF components, antennas, distance, client antenna, etc. are used in between?

• 5.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

Posted Mar 04, 2012 10:21 PM

Hi Oharms,

Noted sir, I will disabled any MIMO datarates and right now I didn't terminate the ANT1 interfaces, I just leave it open.

Like I said before, I only need this IAP92 give the highest possible power, since I cannot eliminate loss caused by DAS connector and cables.

• 6.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

Posted Mar 06, 2012 12:25 PM

Dear,

what is maximum power shown  , when we installed IAP 92 with ANT-IBP (3.8 /5.8) Dbi.

Can we manually mentioned the external antenna power or IAP92 automatically detect and start transmitter.

• 7.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2012 01:15 PM

The software shows RF power in EIRP levels, meaning that the antenna gain is added to the (conducted) transmit power of the AP. Assuming the correct antenna gain numbers are entered for this IAP, 3.8 (4) or 5.8 (6) dB is added to the power from the AP.

However, realize that depending on the country selection and applicable regulatory restrictions, the maximum RF transmit power may be lower than what is supported by the hardware.

Antenna gain needs to be entered manually (for IAP units using external/detachable antennas). Transmit power levels (again, in EIRP can be configured manually, or set to be optimized automatically by SW.

• 8.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

Posted Mar 08, 2012 09:52 AM

Thanks for your response,

can our maually addition of Antenna increase the coverage area. because currently i feel same coverage with external antenna addition and without addition.

Secondly, changing the regularity domain affect the coverage area?

• 9.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2012 10:18 AM

An external antenna can be used to shape or optimize the coverage area. Whether it increases the area or how it affects coverage in general depends on the type of antenna you use and the area you're interested in. A directional antenna for example, will increase range significantly in one direction, but reduce it in all others.

Yes, changing the regulatory domain may affect coverage, since the maximum allowed transmit power in each domain may be different.

• 10.  RE: transmit power in IAP92

Posted Jan 07, 2014 08:30 AM

My dealer sent me a iAP-92 together with a antenna  AP-ANT-17.
    The antenna is 3x3 and I think that the IAP-92 is 2x2, so I have three connectors for antenna and two in the AP.
    Saving this problem, I connect 2 antenna connectors to AP.
    But I do not know how to configure the antenna power in the IAP. I set the gain of the external antenna, 2.4 GHz 6DBI  and 5 GHz 5dBi.
    What transmission power should be configured?
    Should I make any other changes to the configuration of the AP?

Thanks all