Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

users not pulling great speed on AP-225 system

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  users not pulling great speed on AP-225 system

Posted Apr 09, 2016 04:19 PM

I have just started using Aruba AP-225's and have them paired with Juniper 48port poe+ switches.

Now I have 9 APs deployed with about 500-600 users that are byod, we deployed this system in a Art building that is used as event space. 

I had 400 down/ 40 up from the modem. I had users seeing 0.1 mbps to 20 mbps, I have 7 ssids and each on different Vlans with speeds being limited  (2up/2down for guest, 2up/10 down for employees,  2up/20down for my team, etc) I figured it was due to the users grabbing an AP that was too far from them.

How can I setup the system so that users will not pull a slower/weaker signal and have slow speeds?

I want the best experience for everyone in the events we do, I have attached what the layout is and our AP placement

• 2.  RE: users not pulling great speed on AP-225 system

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2016 04:38 PM
    Please see the post here http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978

Two comments: you should limit your number of SSIDS to 4 or less. Any more than that hurts performance significantly.
    - you should remove your bandwidth contracts so you understand the true performance of your network.

• 3.  RE: users not pulling great speed on AP-225 system

Posted Apr 09, 2016 07:21 PM

Thank you for the suggestions

Is there a guide for for they type of environment that I am trying to create?

My main issue with limiting the SSID count is that multiple clients of ours request specific SSIDs for their events that we host. Also with that request is seperate networks for each so we use Vlans.

Here is an example of what we have done

SSID: Vlan

-----------------

Guest: Vlan 15

Employee: Vlan 3

Press Media: Vlan 12

VIP: Vlan 11

Cafe: Vlan 5

POS: Vlan 13

Audio: Vlan 14

Management: default vlan

• 4.  RE: users not pulling great speed on AP-225 system

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2016 07:23 PM

Is there a AAA server for the Employee SSID?