Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted Mar 27, 2014 08:03 AM
    Hi all,

Just read about HA fast failover in the user guide. Implementation seems straight forward, but I'm wondering if I should prepare for any downtime as I move from VRRP to active/standby HA.

Thanks,
    Pete
    #ALE

• 2.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 27, 2014 08:15 AM

Please see below for some guidelines on migrating.  Because you are changing the AP system profile, I would plan for a short amount of downtime.  However, totally worth it!!

1+1 Active Standby model

In this model, the active controller serves all APs, while the standby waits to support failover when the active goes down.

• Remove VRRP IP address as the LMS of the APs from the AP system-profile.
    • Configure C1’s controller-ip address as the LMS for the APs.
    • Configure C2's controller-ip address as the bkup-lms-ip for the APs.
    • Configure C1’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as active.
    • Configure C2’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as dual or standby.
    • Configure ha group-membership on C1 and C2, with both in same ha group.

1:1 Active Active model

This model is deployed with each controller serving 50% of total APs. Let’s say half of the APs belong to set A1 and remaining to set A2.

• Remove VRRP IP address as the LMS of both sets of APs from the AP system-profile.
    • Configure C1’s controller-ip address as the LMS for the APs in set A1.
    • Configure C2’s controller-ip address as the LMS for the APs in set A2.
    • Configure C1’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as dual.
    • Configure C2’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as dual.

• 3.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted Mar 27, 2014 09:43 AM

Thanks for responding Seth. That's what I suspected.. Much appreciated!

• 4.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted Mar 27, 2014 03:56 PM

@SethFiermonti wrote:

how do i do this from the GUI? i only see the option in the CLI is that correct?

• 5.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted Mar 28, 2014 04:21 AM

user guide doesnt mention it but HA FF group membership can be configured at Advanced Services > Redundancy (in 6.3.1.4 at least)

btw, if you are moving from a master / master backup config then HA FF wont work, see the release 6.3.1.x release notes:

Bug ID: 80206
    Symptom: The high availability:fast failover feature introduced in ArubaOS 6.3 does not support a deployment model where a VRRP-based redundant master pair (a master controller and standby-master controller) is also configured as high availability active-standby pair.
    Scenario: This topology is not supported because the high availability: fast failover feature does not allow the APs to form standby tunnels to the standby master.
    Workaround: None

for me it did work for some APs (tested with 5, first time only 1 worked, second time 3) but the ones that didnt work got lost in limbo until they were power cycled. after two tests i felt it was enough and went back to VRRP.

• 6.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted Apr 10, 2014 04:37 AM

This bug is fixed in ArubaOS 6.4.0.3

80206 Symptom: The high availability: fast failover feature introduced in ArubaOS 6.3 did not support VRRPbased
    LMS redundancy in a deployment with master-master redundancy. This topology is supported
    inArubaOS 6.4.
    Scenario: This issue occurred because the high availability: fast failover feature does not allow the APs to
    form standby tunnels to the standby master controller.

• 7.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted May 13, 2014 02:59 PM

I found this thread searching for the exact commands for configuring the Active/Active setup... thanks for the tips.  Two questions:

1.  The 6.3 User Guide states that a bkup-lms-ip should be configured when doing the migration from VRRP to HA FF, however I don't see that in your list.  Should I configure bkup-lms-ip or will the HA FF group-profile handle the backup tunnel for me?

2.  We run master/backup-master with no APs connected to them.  I assume continuing to run VRRP for them but configuring HA FF for all of their locals is fine (i.e. not going to trigger the 6.3 bug with master/backup-master).  Am I correct?

• 8.  RE: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Posted Jun 09, 2014 12:03 PM

For anyone finding this thread trying to answer my "backup-lms" question above, I made my change without the "backup-lms" command and HAFF works as expected.