(Note: Author sadly does not have one of these in her garage.)
Is there any doubt that devices on the network edge are getting faster?
First, let’s dispel any uncertainty about the continued evolution of speed demanded by network devices. Network devices have become so much more than a desktop PC, IP phone and laser printer. We have moved on to power users creating and sharing live streaming digital content, IoT devices needing real-time data such as surgical devices and industrial plasma burn tables on a manufacturing floor and of course high-speed access points. AP technology keeps advancing with higher and higher performance and does not just rely on PoE power from an access switch, but bandwidth capacity too.
Consider what that switch can do for you tomorrow
One challenge as an IT professional is to be ready to roll these emerging devices on the network and deliver all the performance they demand. How do you continue to roll new, faster devices on an already installed network? How do you ensure that your users will be able to take full advantage of the high-performance devices that require more than the typical 1-gigabit connection? Well, you need to plan for those. Frankly, given we often see campus switches deployed for over five, seven and even ten years, it is wise to ensure they are ready to handle all those fast new devices coming.
That is where HPE Smart Rate multi-gigabit Ethernet comes in. It provides more speed and investment protection by eliminating the need to replace switch ports and eliminating the expense and inconvenience of ripping and replacing cabling.
Design a network with multi-gigabit Ethernet so you are ready for faster devices
The answer to this need for speed is the industry standard multi-gig technology, IEEE 802.3bz, known as HPE Smart Rate on our products. Smart Rate ports run at 1G, 2.5G, 5G and up to 10G (depending on the switch and end device) and provide PoE/PoE+ power for all those APs and IoT devices. The beauty of this new standard is that it delivers both high speed and power while using existing CAT5e and CAT6 twisted pair wiring, saving the rip and replace expense and complexity of a new cabling infrastructure.
Our integrated wired and wireless portfolio includes HPE Smart Rate on the 330 series APs, 2930M, 3810M and 5400R campus switches so you can simplify the move to a faster performance by leveraging existing cabling.
Can I Really Use My Existing Cabling?
Twisted-pair wiring is truly the unsung hero once again. Cat5/Cat5E cable has proven so robust that it has gone from supporting Fast Ethernet to 10BASE-T, to 10GBASE-T speeds and now multi-gig speeds with PoE+. Because cable type plays a large role in determining maximum distance supported, check out the latest guidelines.
Aruba Smart Rate Switches for Networks Big and Small
Because each customer’s network requirements are different, we have a comprehensive Smart Rate switch portfolio that allows you to optimize for your deployment. Whether you are looking for just a few Smart Rate ports or for high-density application, built-in or modular, Layer 3 or Advanced Layer 3 features, we have got it covered with our Aruba Mobile First switch portfolio.
- Aruba 2930M Switch Series – Flexible Layer 3 access switches with modular power, uplinks and stacking for high performance and resiliency. All 2930M models support a 4-port Smart Rate (1, 2,5, 5,10G) module (JL081A). Models with built-in Smart Rate ports:
- Aruba 2930M (JL323A) with 8 x Smart Rate ports and 40 x 1Gbps ports (for 12 Smart Rate ports using an optional 4-port module). Smart Rate speeds supported are 1, 2.5, 5 and 10Gbps.
- Aruba 2930M (JL324A) with 24 x Smart Rate ports (for 28 Smart Rate ports using an optional 4-port module). Smart Rate speeds supported are 1, 2.5, and 5Gbps.
- All 2930M models support a 4-port Smart Rate (1, 2, 5, 5,10G) module (JL081A).
- Aruba 3810 Switch Series - Powerful advanced Layer 3 switches with resilient backplane stacking, low latency and resiliency. All 3810 models support a 4-port Smart Rate (1, 2,5, 5,10G) module (JL081A).
- Aruba 3810 Switch (JL076A) supports 8 x Smart Rate ports and 40 x 1G ports (for 12 Smart Rate ports using an optional 4-port module). Smart Rate speeds supported are 1, 2.5, 5 and 10Gbps.
- All 3810 models support a 4-port Smart Rate (1, 2,5, 5,10G) module (JL081A).
- Aruba 5400R Switch Series - Versatile modular advanced Layer 3 aggregation and access switches with Virtual (VSF) stacking, low latency and enterprise-class resiliency. Using the 8-port Smart Rate module (J9995A), the 5400R supports up to 96 ports of Smart Rate in the 12 slot 5412R chassis or 48 ports of Smart Rate in the 6 slot 5406R. Smart Rate speeds supported are 1, 2.5, 5 and 10Gbps.
The details are here
Learn more about how to take advantage of 802.11ac Wave 2 with HPE Smart Rate in this solution brief and learn more about complete Aruba Smart Rate multi-gig products.