Higher Education

View Only
last person joined: 18 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility 8.0 migration

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Mobility 8.0 migration

Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:00 PM

I am migrating from 6.x to a new 8.x environment.This will be a manual migration, I want to learn the interface and more SE's have recommended manual over using the migration tool. That said i don't want to enter every group/profile/policy in the gui.

I have two MM's and two MC's. If enable config on  one of the MC's and config from the cli will i hose the enviroment?

• 2.  RE: Mobility 8.0 migration

Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:05 PM

We went down a very similar route, are you running a Master/Local setup?

We were, so we took the local, and failed everything over to the master and then rebuilt the local with No AP's as a MC attached to a MM cluster.

We then moved a couple of AP's over to test before bringing the service up as live.

If you aren't running a master/local then this wouldn't work for you, Im unsure on other setups as I only know ours...

• 3.  RE: Mobility 8.0 migration

Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:11 PM

No, we are not running master/local. Nor do i have to cut over existing equipment, the 8.0 environment is brand new.

• 4.  RE: Mobility 8.0 migration

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:28 PM

I do not know how long you have been running 6.x. I assumeyou plan on moving yo 8.x in an MM / MD environment.We got some evaluation licenses for MM & MD VMs and built out our environment from scratch, designing at what level different configuraion pieces belonged.

we then were able to tet & debug without impacting Production.

We move dto mew ip address vlans for 8.x so we broke HA on our 6.x local controllers to gain 8.X MDs to start th mgtarion. We planned a phased migration and radually moved all 6.X APs & local controllers to 8.X We were then able to repurpose our 6.X master controllers as 8.X MDs.

• 5.  RE: Mobility 8.0 migration

MVP
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:30 PM

In my opinion, the 8.X WebUI is nor really readu dy. You cannot configure many things trough the WebUI, IIRC. Learn & use the CLI or fewest headaches.

• 6.  RE: Mobility 8.0 migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 12:32 PM

@GFN182 wrote:

I am migrating from 6.x to a new 8.x environment.This will be a manual migration, I want to learn the interface and more SE's have recommended manual over using the migration tool. That said i don't want to enter every group/profile/policy in the gui.

I have two MM's and two MC's. If enable config on  one of the MC's and config from the cli will i hose the enviroment?

You can configure the MM on the commandline if you navigate to the proper folder and do a "config t".  So you can copy and paste what you have on your existing 6.x configuration to your MM.  This will work best for certain constructs more than others.

All configuration is done on the MM.  No configuration is done on the MDs (controllers), so there is no chance that configuration on the MDs will "hose" the configuration.  There is a "disaster recovery mode" that you can enable on the MDs in an emergency, but as soon as it gets connected back to the MM, it will revert to (sync) what the MM has on it.  The disaster recovery mode is used mainly to establish connectivity back to the MM and re-sync the config.

Have you seen the ArubaOS 8 fundamentals guide here?  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/ArubaOS-8-Fundamentals-Guide/ta-p/428914

• 7.  RE: Mobility 8.0 migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2019 01:21 PM

If you have time today, please check out this webinar about the ArubaOS 8.x architecture here:  https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/recording/7226782450234909441