Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

Posted Mar 08, 2021 10:10 AM
    In house villa we have 8  indoor access point IAP 315 and recently added IAP 374 outdoor access point and configured  as mesh point by initially connecting with wired connection to switch and disabling extended SSID on VC. it is working fine in basement of villa in any place  as mesh point. but when we bring at ground floor for outside coverage the IAP 374 doesn't become mesh point and connect to  the nearest IAP 315 mesh portal .The nearest IAP which is on Ground floor is also the preferred master . but when back to basement just power it up and after boot without wired uplink connection it becomes mesh point and join the VC. how can we debug this issue . is this RF interference issue . In ground floor the wired IAP 315 signal coverage is good and even near the outside point where iAP 374 is installed also have good signal strength .the firmware version 8.6.0.0-8.6.0,.sorry for detail explanation  doesn't have Wireless experience  but have some networking knowledge

------------------------------
    rasheed khan

• 2.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2021 09:43 AM
    What antennas are you using on the 374? More than likely the signal from the 315 on the first floor is not strong enough for the mesh to form, going through exterior walls can be far more difficult than a floor through a house or villa. A few things to try, outside of ensuring the APs and antennas are installed and oriented correctly:

1. Raise the power of the 5Ghz radio of the 315 on the first floor to get more signal outside and try again
    2. You can console in to the mesh point 374 while it's outside, and from the AP run a 'show mesh neighbors' to see what the signal is from the indoor 315 to the 375.

Jerrod Howard

• 3.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

Posted Mar 09, 2021 03:28 PM
    Hi Howard,
    The following four  antennas are connected to IAP 374 the 5010 pair connected to 5G0 (V) and 5G1(H) NF Connector
     and two 2005 pair to 2G0 and 2G1
    JW023A ANT-2X2 -2005 PAIR
    JW027A ANT-2X2-5010 PAIR
    I opened a case with Aruba Tac Support . I would definitely try your suggestion when on site.

Thanks

rasheed khan

• 4.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2021 03:37 PM
    So you only have (2) 5010 antennas on the AP, so the other two 5Ghz connectors are empty? Are they terminated with a 50ohm N-terminator? Or do you have a total of (4) 5010 antennas? And Herman's comment is spot on as well, if the indoor APs are on a channel not supported on the outdoor APs, they will never associate.

Jerrod Howard

• 5.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

Posted Mar 10, 2021 04:03 PM
    No they are not terminated just have the default cap come in the box.  The Aruba TAC Support says it needs a clear line of sight between the portal and the point. i am not sure we can have this . I will have a TAC Session next week and be at the villa next week only. I will make sure to terminate also.

Thanks

rasheed khan

• 6.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2021 10:15 AM
    There is a difference in allowed channels between indoor and outdoor in most countries. Like where I am in Europe all the 'low 5GHz' channels are not available for outdoor use, and outdoor starts at channel 104 or so. If all the indoor APs are on the 36-48 non-DFS channels, you will not be able to form a mesh.

In order to form a mesh, the mesh points need to be on a channel that is allowed for outdoor use as well. If you don't know, please share your country code and we can look up the valid channels. You may need to manually encourage the possible mesh points to be on outdoor permitted channels.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

Posted Mar 09, 2021 03:45 PM
    Hi Herman,
                        The country code SA (Saudi Arabia).   I  tried to search but did not find channels for outdoor use. Pls provide me valid channels I will try manually.

Thanks

rasheed khan

• 8.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2021 03:59 PM
    SA allows outdoor 5Ghz in ch 100-161 (and 149-165 for fixed wireless), so if the indoor AP(s) are outside of those channels, at least the one closest to the outdoor AP, then the outdoor AP has nowhere to go to associate against. I would note as well that the indoor Ch 36-64 only allows up to 200mW / 23dB EIRP so there's not much power to start with as well. Check Herman's pointer about the AP channel, make sure at least the one by the outdoor AP is at max power, and then once you go hang the outdoor AP, check the 'show ap mesh neighbors' from the 375 to see what, if anything, that AP sees in terms of a portal to associate to.

Jerrod Howard

• 9.  RE: IAP 374 Outdoor Access Point as mesh point issue.

Posted Mar 21, 2021 04:39 AM
    Just want to update .Tac support change the IAP 374 to indoor mode. The AP formed mesh link successfully.  after changing to indoor it uses outdoor channel only 116E. 
    Thanks jhoward and herman for there valuable inputs.

rasheed khan