Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

Posted Nov 19, 2021 10:31 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Airheads,

I'm adding computer MAC addresses manually. I don't have many to add <50

Just wondered if anyone knew of a way to add a friendly name to the entry to I could easily identify the MAC to a specific computer of User etc.

Kindest regards,
    Leo.

------------------------------
    Leo Pickford

• 2.  RE: 'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 19, 2021 08:32 PM
    I am assuming you are doing a MAC auth for a PSK based WLAN, in this case the username/password should be the MAC address.
    then you can specify your delimiter char in the next field

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: 'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

Posted Nov 22, 2021 05:51 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello ariyap,
    Thanks for your reply. Correct, that's the setup. But what I'm asking for is a way it easily identify computer against MAC addresses, see screen shot example. Do you know if this is a possibility or on the Aruba roadmap?
    Thanks,
    Leo.​

Leo Pickford

• 4.  RE: 'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 22, 2021 10:10 AM
    I don't think that is supported for the internal database. Central will show the hostname of the client if it can find that out, and if you use an external authentication server like ClearPass, you can return the IETF Username with the value that you want to appear in the AP.

For roadmap enquiries, please contact your local Aruba SE.

If you are in Central, you could give Cloud Auth (under Global - Security - Application & Policy) a check as well. That allows giving MAC addresses a name, but it depends on your application if that works for you.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: 'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

Posted Nov 22, 2021 10:34 AM
    Hi Herman,

Thank you! yeah that looks promising. I can Add computer MAC (Plus ID) to the Client Access Policy and allow access to the specific SSID profile. ​Need to test but looking good.

Thanks!
    Leo.

Leo Pickford

• 6.  RE: 'Friendly Name' MAC address identification

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2021 12:00 AM
    as Herman said, Aruba Central will display the machine name.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.