Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Admin password instant on

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  Admin password instant on

Posted Mar 09, 2021 02:37 PM
    Hello all I took over the technology coordinator position at a school district and am new to Aruba. The previous coordinator has an instant on cluster setup at one of the building using AP505's. I am able to access the webpage for the virtual master controller but have no idea what the username password is. I know the cluster is working as I have powered on a new AP505 and it connects and provides access. After the school year is over I would like to get management capabilities back.

If I do the pin hole reset on the AP that is the virtual master controller will I be able to setup a new username and password? Or will another AP assume master status with the same username and password I don't know?

------------------------------
    Mitch Clark

• 2.  RE: Admin password instant on

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 09, 2021 02:49 PM
    No :(. Unfortunately when you reset the AP even with the reset button, the AP will reboot. When that happens, another AP in the cluster will take over as the Virtual Controller. Unless TAC has some magic they can work for you, you may need to rebuild the environment on another factory reset AP. 

Make sure if you do start over, that you work on the new environment with the AP on a different subnet. Otherwise it will try and join the active cluster.

Does this make sense?

Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: Admin password instant on

Posted Mar 10, 2021 07:10 AM
    It does make sense that's what I thought I may be looking at. How do I get all the other AP's to join the new cluster after I get the new environment setup? Will just powering them back on work or will I have to factory reset each one as well?

Mitch Clark

• 4.  RE: Admin password instant on

Posted Mar 10, 2021 08:19 AM
    Before defaulting the APs, have you tried getting access via serial console?  That interface may or may not require login, so there is a chance you can recover the configuration.

John Kupski

• 5.  RE: Admin password instant on

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 10, 2021 12:01 PM
    @jkupski

Aruba removed the password recovery via console about 5-6 years ago I think. You would need a login to access the configuration.​

Dustin Burns

• 6.  RE: Admin password instant on

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 10, 2021 11:58 AM
    Technically you should be able to reboot them and move them to the same subnet as the new Virtual Controller (Your new IAP cluster). I would suggest a factory reset to be on the safe side though.

Dustin Burns