Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

How to fix a bricked access point

This thread has been viewed 53 times
  • 1.  How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 12, 2021 02:21 PM
    It appears I have three bricked IAP-324 access points new in the box, meaning they were bricked before they were shipped to me. I have tried everything I know. I have not found much info on how to unbrick. Does anybody have any tricks they can share with me? I will try anything at this point before having to ship them back. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Russell Peeples

• 2.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2021 02:26 PM
    Hi Russell,

I'm assuming you already did a factory reset?
    Can you share a dump from the console port when the unit powers up?

Onno Harms

• 3.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 12, 2021 02:38 PM
    I have reset many times. I will try to connect to the console port if I can find a cable that will work. 

The LED blinks steadily and never goes solid, which according to the manual, means it should be in a ready state. Is this correct?

Russell Peeples

• 4.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 12, 2021 02:47 PM
    I have connected to the console port, but I am not sure what to enter at this point. Please forgive me...

Russell Peeples

• 5.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2021 02:56 PM
    No need to enter anything, but if you could capture and share the output, that may help.
    Does your network provide an IP address to the IAP?

Onno Harms

• 6.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 12, 2021 03:01 PM
    Yes, I can ping the ip address, but that's as far as I can get.

Russell Peeples

• 7.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 12, 2021 03:54 PM
    It is not capturing anything. I have tried Putty to see if I can get to the CLI and all it says is "connection refused" no matter what I enter. I have tried several ports, including 4343. Still no luck.

Russell Peeples

• 8.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2021 04:41 PM
    Just to be clear, the console port is a serial RS232 interface. How are you interfacing with it?

Onno Harms

• 9.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 12, 2021 05:00 PM
    I was using a Cisco cable for that, BUT I guess this thread can be closed now. I have obtained a refund and will be shipping these APs back to exchange for something else that will work with external antennas. Many thanks for your help!!!

Russell Peeples

• 10.  RE: How to fix a bricked access point

Posted Aug 13, 2021 10:15 AM

n the last couple of weeks I've been going back through the pile of dead access points that will not even recover using the above procedure and I've managed to bring them all back bar one. Which once a part arrives I'm confident will be up and running too.

It involves removing the Eeprom from the PCB and re-flashing it in a programmer.

There's a bit more too it than that, every device's Eeprom is unique so you can't just write the code without modifying it but having now spent a great deal of time on this I've got a process that works. PM me if you want to have a go at this but you'll need a hot flow rework station, suitable programmer (Which isn't cheap), steady hand to solder, linux understanding and some patience..

otherwise I'm in the UK so if anyone wants to send me their device I'll have a go for you. PM me..

These devices are great, lets keep them going...

Alan Caine