Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

[idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  [idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points

Posted Jan 29, 2021 02:53 AM
    We use HP V1910 PoE switches which don´t support 802.3at but offer up to 30W for each port. Unfortunately AP-535 access points only detect 802.3af and limit their capabilities. Therefor I would like to suggest a manual PoE power mode feature:

Configuring Forced Power Supply
    Configuration Effect

• Configure the forced power supply mode including AF, AT25W and BT. When some APs powered over e.g. PoE+ are connected to some devices incapable of PoE+ negotiation, the power based limit will be canceled.

Configuration Steps
    Configuring pdpoe-force
    • pdpoe-force{ af | at | bt}

Parameter Description
    • af: Sets the forced power supply mode to AP, consumption: 13.0W
    • at: Sets the forced power supply mode to AT, consumption: 25.5W
    • bt: Sets the forced power supply mode to BT, consumption: 62.0W

• 2.  RE: [idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2021 04:48 AM
    The 1910 switches are not Aruba switches, but HP branded and I think they are end of sale/end of support for some time already.

Also, CLI access is not supported, these devices are Web managed.

I would not know where you can put this feature request, you may try to contact a representative on the HPE Networking website.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: [idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points

Posted Feb 01, 2021 04:58 AM
    Thanks for your reply. The feature request is actually meant to be for Aruba access points. I want them to work with full power despite what kind of PoE the access points themselves detected.

• 4.  RE: [idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2021 05:20 AM
    In that case, the procedure to get feature requests in is to open an item in the Aruba Innovation Zone, which is accessible for Partners and Aruba Employees. Your partner or Aruba SE can enter it if you don't have access, and that also allows status updates etc.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: [idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 02, 2021 10:47 PM
    I would note too that 802.3at requires LLDP, which is used for a lot of the power signaling as part of the at standard (same with BT). So the switch would need to support AT power with LLDP.

Jerrod Howard

• 6.  RE: [idea] Forced power mode for PoE powered access points

Posted Mar 03, 2021 01:29 AM
    Update: This actually already works for me when activating IPM on the AP-535.

So the V1910 with its 802.3af and LLDP enabled powers the AP-535 without restrictions:
    Power Status
    ------------
    Item Value
    ---- -----
    Power Supply : POE-AT
    LLDP Power : Successfully negotiated at 25.5W
    Current Operational State : No restrictions (Overridden by LLDP)
    Eth0 HW POE status : POE AF, LLDP power: 25.5W
    Eth1 HW POE status : NONE, LLDP power: 0.0W
    POE Mode : Shared

Thank you for your help.