Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Painting AP-ANT-45 - has anyone measured loss when painting APs or antennas?

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Painting AP-ANT-45 - has anyone measured loss when painting APs or antennas?

Posted Jun 07, 2021 10:41 AM

Hi,

I've seen KBs and discussions here that it's OK to use primer and top coat spray paint to let antennas and outdoor APs hide. 

What I wonder is has anyone tried this on an AP-ANT-45 (used with a AP-514 in my case), and have they done "before and after" tests to see how many dB is lost in the painting?

I can throw an extra dB or so in my wireless calculators for this site, but I wonder if anyone has any real data on what a light spray of primer and top coat latex would do to the signal.

Thanks,

Ambi

------------------------------
    Lawrence Brandt

• 2.  RE: Painting AP-ANT-45 - has anyone measured loss when painting APs or antennas?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2021 06:04 AM
    As far as I know, the attenuation of paint on an antenna is neglectable. As long as you stick to non-metallic paints.

Possibly others have actually measured it, I would estimate this effect too marginally to effectively measure.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.