Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Amazon Echo connection issues

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Amazon Echo connection issues

Posted Feb 16, 2021 10:10 AM
    Just joined the community and first post.  I have IAP 305 AP's.  Having no issue connecting any device except for an Amazon Echo Dot.  I can connect this thing to a mobile hotspot and other networks but there has to be some setting I am missing.  I have searched this forum for answers but haven't found something that works yet.  I can see when it tries to connect it gets an IP address and I can see the MAC but never can connect.  I have tried changing the password authentication types, changing radio channels, turning on and off 2.4 and 5 ghz radios, turned on and off airgroup, no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    John Perkins

• 2.  RE: Amazon Echo connection issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 01:43 AM
    have you enabled authentication on your SSID? is it pre-shared-key ?
    may be change the encryption type on your PSK and test again.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Amazon Echo connection issues

Posted Feb 19, 2021 09:46 AM
    Thank you for a response.  I have tried almost every type of WPA authentication.  It is enabled.  I have tried WPA, WPA2, WPA and WPA2.  No luck.  I read that you cannot do enterprise or open for these echo devices.  The only other options I see is MPSK AES and MPSK Local but you need a radius server set up.  I wouldn't think this could be so difficult.  Still having no luck even with a new echo device.  This is the only device type of device I cannot connect.

John Perkins

• 4.  RE: Amazon Echo connection issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 07:49 AM
    I have my Echo Dot connected using WPA2-PSK, and not experienced any issues in the years I have this unit.

For MPSK Local you don't need a radius server (that is what the local means), but I would not try MPSK if normal WPA2-PSK does not work.

Do you have your other device, that work fine, connected to the same WPA2-PSK SSID?
    It's some time ago, but I think you use an App on your mobile to configure the Echo dot to the SSID (which probably works over Bluetooth), then the Echo dot connects and you see in the App that all is  fine. At which point do you get stuck?? It may be that the phone that you use to provision the Echo Dot and the Echo Dot need to end up in the same network or (during provisioning) in the same SSID. It also could be that after the provisioning both try to communicate, in which case temporarily disabling broadcast filtering may help to finish the provisioning.

Please share more information on which steps you took, and what you see when it stops (and at which point you are).

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: Amazon Echo connection issues

Posted Feb 22, 2021 08:55 AM

Yes.  We have several types of devices that connect with no problems such as tablets, phones, laptops, thermostats, printers, etc.  I have tried 2 different echos with the same results.  I have tried both Samsung and apple phones and the computer for setup.  The point of failure comes as it is trying to connect to the SSID.  I can see from central that the echo gets issued an IP address but Alexa always comes back and says unable to connect.  I have tried to set it up with a static IP, I have changed the authentication types around, I have tried airplay, I have tried turning off the 2.4 then 5, changed the channels to different ones....nothing has worked.  The only thing I can think of now is the security appliance blocking a port or some obscure setting that I don't have set.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

John Perkins

Office: (765) 246-4031

Mobile: 765-720-2952

john@libertytrailers.com

Visit us @ www.libertytrailers.com

• 6.  RE: Amazon Echo connection issues

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2021 09:39 AM
    Can you capture the client traffic, on the AP, on your firewall, router, switch, or another place? It may help to understand what traffic is attempted and where it may be blocked. My Echo Dot is connected on 5GHz, so at least mine is 5GHz capable (and I think it is the first or second hardware release, one of the early ones).

Also, what is the role that your Echo Dot ends up with on the network? Do you have limitations in there?

If you see an IP assigned, the authentication is successful and it is likely to be something in the datapath/firewalls. What also may help is to 'disconnect client' from Central, to fully reinitialize the connection if you have made changes and see issues. Normally changes are transparent, in rare conditions disconnect client and full reconnect may help.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 7.  RE: Amazon Echo connection issues

Posted Feb 25, 2021 11:48 AM

When I view the traffic on Central, I can see there are packets moving when I try to connect this Echo.  I also see it on the Sophos security appliance too but only briefly.  It tries to hit a couple IP's then drops. 

John Perkins

Office: (765) 246-4031

Mobile: 765-720-2952

john@libertytrailers.com

Visit us @ www.libertytrailers.com