Wireless Water Cooler

View Only
last person joined: 17 days ago 

Hang out and socialize with other community members in this off topic forum. Everything from industry trends to hobbies and interests are welcomed!

Associated Costs

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Associated Costs

Posted Mar 12, 2019 08:28 PM

Hi guys,

I currently have a cisco 3850 switch at home with 4 aps associated to it. Cisco is moving away from the converged access deployment and i see the smart licensing as cost prohibitive as an ongoing home solution long term.

I am interested in switching to hp switches and aruba aps. Generally speaking i am looking for a multigig switch and a fairly high end ap with an interface greater than 1gb. I was looking at the hp jl076a switch and also the 515 aps. I noticed that the hp switches firmware seems to be generally available with no contract but the aps themselves do require a contract to download. Can anyone clarify the requirements for software downloads of both products? I am generally not in need of support just updates to the software.

Asside from generaly ap use i do have sip endpoints. from what i have read the instant ap functionality should work just fine. 

Assuming a contract is needed for software downloads can anyone let me know how that generally works with aruba, i am a long time cisco person, no experience with aruba to date.  I may end up going with unifi xgs once they introduce a rack mount 48port 10gbps poe switch but at the moment they only have a small 10gb poe switch. I would prefer to keep this on the enterprise type of products. I generally am willing to pay up front for the hardware but dont want to get tied into a high re-occuring cost. I know its all overkill for home use but generally speaking i use this as an opportunity to learn new products for work.