Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

lost of packet Switch Aruba 2930F

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  lost of packet Switch Aruba 2930F

Posted Oct 14, 2020 05:31 PM

hello everyone

we have a switch core aruba 2930F and we have 3 VLAN, I analyse the traffic of network and we have a mirror port for this process, I conect a machinge whit wireshark and in the analysis we have a lost of pachet.

is there any way to know why i have this packet loss.

aruba01.jpgaruba 02.jpg

• 2.  RE: lost of packet Switch Aruba 2930F

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 15, 2020 08:03 AM

it is not really a packet loss... but a retry packet

how do you have configure the packet mirror ?

• 3.  RE: lost of packet Switch Aruba 2930F

Posted Oct 15, 2020 09:09 AM

yes, it is a packet retransmission and TCP out of order.

This is the configuration of mirror port

switch(config)# mirror 1 port 11
    switch(config)# interface VLAN 1 monitor all both mirror 1

switch(config)# mirror 2 port 11
    switch(config)# interface VLAN 2 monitor all both mirror 2
    switch(config)# mirror 3 port 11
    switch(config)# interface VLAN 3 monitor all both mirror 3

#2930F

• 4.  RE: lost of packet Switch Aruba 2930F

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 16, 2020 04:24 AM
    @AntonioSanchez wrote: yes, it is a packet retransmission and TCP out of order.

Technically speaking they (packets retransmission, TCP out-of-order) could happen on mirror port (in particular load/switch conditions from what I understood).

I recall I recently have read an old paper (2007 with HP ProCurve 2824 versus a Cisco Catalyst 2950) about this issues, it's Traffic Trace Artifacts due to Monitoring Via Port Mirroring. It was quite old but it's a quite interesting read also these days.

Edit: If I were the OP I would change/correct/adapt the Thread's title with something like "Aruba 2930R: mirror port and packets re-transmission/out-of-order" since there isn't specifically any packet loss.